MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

N95 masks

Edconaluke

I've been meaning to order masks for a while, to have just in case. Anyways, yesterday I happened to be in the local drugstore and to my amazement they had a couple boxes of the N95 masks on the shelf. Excitedly I picked them up to read and make sure they were exactly what I wanted when I noticed they had a manufacture date and an expiry date.

Manufactured Jan '06 Expiry Jan '09

Has anyone else seen this?? I thought we could store these masks long term. Would it be worth it to go get those masks ($24.99 20pk) and ask the manager for a discount since they are expired? :huh:

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Why in the world would they expire? I thought the rating was based on how tight the weave was , or something like that. Is there a chemical in them that kills the germs that can degrade over time?

Or... maybe the company is concerned that nobody is buying them since everyone still has their stock from a few years ago? An expiration date would make people restock. $$$

Maybe someone knows more about this, but DH uses these ALL the time in his work and he says they don't really expire but the cloth 'fabric' can degrade with time if left in direct sunlight or heat.

I'd definitely ask for a discount and see what happens. Also, maybe Google has more info.

N95 (and all microfiber woven masks) will slowly degrade and their fibers will contract over time. Truthfully, the expiration date is a misleading term...if the masks were kept in warehouse/retail store, they should last long after their 'inspection date'.

N95 masks have the dates stamped on them because they are rated for 95% filtration of airborne particles in dry-unsoiled condition as that date passes, the filtration rate cannot be guaranteed at 95%.

Archived