MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Home made humidifiers?

Hello experts!

I recently had a bout with pnuemonia, and although I used everything the Doc gave me, STEAM helped soooo much.

My mom used to make a steam inhaler for my brother who had asthma, by getting a tea-pot going, taking it off the burner and and throwing a blanket over the pot and my brothers head. Then there is hanging out in the bathroom with the shower going.

I am wondering about the newest, best methods for home made humidifiers, (imagining no power for an electric one) and recommendations for additives like eucalyptus? They now have pellets you can drop in the shower to inhale with the steam. Any thoughts on those?

I am very interested, and appreciate your knowledge and expertise very much!

Thanks!

Additives that I have used both stovetop and tub: Eucalyptus, Chamomile, Rosehips, Juniper, Orange, Menthol / Camphor, and of course Lavendar.

I always keep a pot of water with something in it on top of my wood burning stove.

I do know that it doesn't have to be in the form of steam to just keep the air in general moist can also help. You can do this with a spray bottle and spritzing the room alot. My pot on the woodburner never boils or steams but does help alot.

I think on this and check with the family old ones and see what they did before electric was an option. If I find anything out I'll get back to you. One thing I remember from when I was itty bitty was seeing them rush my sister out in the middle of a snowy night when she had the croup and had choked up and could not breathe right. Something to do with the cold night air, I don't know the details, just that it worked. I'll try to track down that story as well.

I've posted this before on Mrs S, but I can't remember where.

When I was first married, both DH and I caught the flu. Our naturopath told us to try this treatment, it's a type of heat therapy. It really kicks any type of chest congestion. You can also do the same thing for sinuses on a smaller scale.

Best part is - you have EVERYTHING YOU NEED at home, even without electric.

This takes a few hours, but is VERY effective. It should be done for EVERY DAY of chest congestion for 3-4 days, then every other day for a week or until the residual mucus begins to clear.

Heat Therapy for the Chest

Items:

2 bowls;

8-10 towels (hand towels or kitchen towels; 2 different colors for easy distinction)

Herbs if you desire like eucalyptus, tiger balm, etc.

One bowl will be for HOT towels, the other add some ICE (maybe 1/4 C) and water.

Make a nest for the ill person either on a bed or sofa out of extra sheets and at least 2 wool blankets. If possible, they should be lying flat.

You will now alternate HOT, COLD, HOT COLD on the front chest and on the back, ending with HOT COLD (only once) on the front.

First, get your towel hot by soaking in hot water or microwaving for a minute or so. Let steam for a second to avoid burns, then place well-wrung out towel with the narrow end parallel to the top of the shoulders, and bring towel down across the chest. Cover with a dry towel, bring blankets up to the patient's chin and let the patient's body heat dry the towel. This should take about 20 minutes.

When the 'hot' towel is mostly dry, uncover the patient, and apply COLD towel, again, mostly wrung out. This is a shocker! Cover up with dry towel and again, let body heat warm the towel.

Repeat once more for the front, then do twice on the back, then once more on the front.

The idea behind this is to 'shock' the body into circulation and getting rid of the mucous. If you begin to cough or sniff while this is happening, GOOD, the treatment is working.

You can RE-USE an already 'used' cloth, but be warned that you will need to trade out the dry one each time for this to be effective.

It is possible to do this yourself, but it is annoying. I had to set an alarm, for this does make you warm and drowsy.

I encourage this in the afternoon, then follow up with the 'wet sock' treatment at bedtime.

The Wet Sock Treatment:

1 pair of rag wool socks

1 pair of thin cotton socks

Cold or ice water

After a warm bath or shower (your feet MUST be warm!) soak the cotton socks in ice water for a while. Wring out, place on warm feet. Slip wool socks and go to bed.

Like with the Chest treatment, your body heat warms the socks to dryness. This is a VERY effective treatment for sniffy noses, minor coughing, etc.

Do this when you're taking a nap for at least 3-4 hours.

Hope this helps.

Archived