MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cold Noodle with a Peanut Sauce

nmchick

I don't remember anymore where I got this recipe. Here's the original ingredient list.

1/2 pound thin rice noodles

2 T sesame oil

1/4 c + 1 T shelled, salted roasted peanuts

1 clove garlic

1 scallion white

1 T peanut oil

1 T soy sauce

2 t black vinegar

1 t. sugar

1/8 t cayenne pepper

chopped scallion greens for garnish

Throw the garlic and onion whiles in the food processor. Process. Then throw in the peanuts. Process. Put in the rest of stuff and process. (NOT THE NOODLES!) Pour the sauce over the noodles and chill. [so if you have peanut butter or the means to make peanut butter, you don't need the food processor at all.)

When I was a starving student, I'd make this with spagetti noodles found on sale.

I have a lot more allergies than I had when I made these noodles long ago, so today's version included rice noodles, almonds instead of peanuts, safflower oil instead of peanut oil and sesame oil, and rice wine vinegar since I never even figured out what black vinegar was! The critical ingredients are nuts, vinegar, and garlic. The rest seems to be optional.

It's much easier to get the sauce to coat the noodles if the noodles are warm. Then if you can wait, throw your creation in the fridge for a while. It's much better that way. (I hardly ever wait! ) And if you throw your onion greens in the food processor too, you still get something tasty, but it is kinda ugly.

It's good with some miscellaneous veggies thrown in too, or some tofu cubes. Oh my. Wonder what it'd be like with black walnuts for the nuts?

Archived