MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Time to Harvest the garlic here at the Homestead!

I plant it in November (zone 6) and cover it with straw until we see it coming up and then we move the straw so it can grow. . . And Grow it does! This year it got huge with all the rain and sunshine we have been having - but it has to go seeing the pickling cucumbers are starting to run all over the place and that area is where I planned for them to go every year. Every year I save to biggest and best of the last years harvest and plant them in 2 rows, come spring when it time to put out the cucumbers I plant them at the end of the rows and let them run down the lane. The garlic help to shade the cucumbers form the sun until they are full of big leaves (and tiny cucumbers).

So yesterday I pulled all the garlic and spread them out on the greenhouse shelf. Today I went out and trimmed them up and brushed off all the dirt and put them in the root cellar. Man do I stink of garlic (and loving it). But then I saved one to bring in and don't you know I just had to make some fresh garlic toast. So now I stink, and the house stinks. ;)

Do you think Lori will notice when she comes home today?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I spread mine out in the garage along with the onions. The smell is noticeable!

Just think of how people's homes used to smell when they had that stuff inside along with herbs and veggies they were drying and crocks of sour pickles and kraut fermenting.

Odors in houses were part of living. Now we want to buy bottles of dangerous chemicals to spray away all traces that people actually live and cook in their homes.

Archived