MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Broth for Dogs

YYY

Hi Everybody,

I have read about people using bones to make a broth for dogs. How do you do it? Right now I have some bones left over from some fried pork chops. Since they have been “cooked”, do I put them into hot jars and cover them with boiling water and process using the recommended time for meat in the pressure canner? Should I prepare them some other way? Will this work with chicken bones? Beef bones? Raw bones? After canning, can I give my dog the processed bones in addition to pouring the broth over her food or should I strain it, throw out the bones and just use the broth? Sorry for so many questions. I just don’t want to harm her in any way.

Thanks,

YYY

I just throw them in a pot, cover with water and let them barely simmer for a few days. I add in vegatable trimmings as I get them to add flavor.

The reason I simmer so long is to get out as much of the mineral content as I can. I end up with soft bones I can feed to the dog, chickens or even add to ground beef for a meatloaf.

You could cook them in a crockpot on low if you're worried about having your stove on that long.

Don't forget to add a shot of vinegar to help extract the minerals from the bones.

Archived