MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rollercoaster week

Christy

Harvested pumpkins. 6 in the pantry now, 1 almost eaten.Still have potatoes to harvest (and it will freeze later in the week).

Ordered coal and wood for the stoves. Gathered wood in the woods to light something now.

Found raspberries second batch of the year after warm and rainy period, shock!

Cleaned and cooked for a guest who was not coming this weekend but the next (Alzheimer strikes early in some cases you see).

Cooked last of the zucchini who were doing pretty well. Harvested about 3kg of tomatoes still on the vine.

Will try to scrub floor of big livingroom later this week so the room can be used, hurray. Am currently taking mock-wood-foil of doors cos that was all the rage here some years back. Fun, cleaning plastic stickers the size of a door from doors... grrr

See a small roedeer every morning from the breakfast table. It enters the garden to feed, it walks at ease through garden and feels quite at home.

Been stripping elderberries that are dried from their branches. Neighbours picked them for me and put them on newspapers in the bathroom to dry. Most are dry and in a box now, others hang in the livingroom over the stove to completely dry out.

Washed hands 20 times to rid of purple stains.

Heard from son that petrabbit has gone AWOL. Still no sign after 3 days so not looking good.

Nasty weather here and looking at a cold snap. Hope to have enough fuel when it really hits.

Am going to hunt down a metal barrel now to burn garbage in. Paper and other non-pollutants are burned here like it's a national sport or something. Got a kennel full of the stuff.

Sewed some curtains, embroidered a little lavender and hop sachet for the neighbour's daughter who has sleeping problems. Apparently that works. Found hop growing in the garden and had lavender in store so...

Might be another week before I get to a computer again. Hope you are al lwell.

Hugs

Christy

It is always such a treat to hear from you Christy! Sounds like you have been busy indeed!

Great idea about the lavender and hop, I know your neighbor appreciates that so much.

The rollercoaster in Alabama right now is the weather, going from up to 80's to frost within a few days and the rain!! it's back and more flash flooding for the area.

So, glad you checked in!! Stay safe and warm and dry! :hug3:

So glad you could get to a computer Christy!

Our "moving week" is just about settled down! Just a few details left we are getting to one at a time.

This morning I cooked chcken for dinner and made banana bread- one for us and one for a friend going camping with his son. During the day here, one chills as it is still warm out. This evening I will make biscuits and Christmas ornaments-after it cools off a bit.

I start work Wednesday and am looking forward to that. Will be working evenings so unless I can get Thursdays off, no more chats. :yar: I hope everyone has agood day and a great week!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello dear ones. Here is a reply from the pov of Snorri, the red tomcat who lives with me in Germany.

He has his own account over at Minions and I've cut and pasted it to here. Internet tiem at the library is at a premium so apologies for those that do not know Snorri and his fanclub :P

Hello, this is your favourite feline friend, One-Eye Snorri. As Mizz Christy is too busy driving to the town and library herself, she's asked someone to take me here an type a report.

So a kind neighbour took me here, the ladies at the library heightened the chair and me is typing with me little paws now. There better be a tin of salmon when I get home!

Right, sofar....

First the sad news... No mice in the house. Some on the barn but that's not as much fun as in the house.

The good news... The house is coming together. Uncle Peter(RealP3 from Minions) visited this weekend and he did lots of work. In fact, it interfered with my naps so I took a detour to a quieter place until he was gone. Plus cats are not good at sharing and he does know to shovel food that should rightfully be mine!

Last of the potatoes are out of the ground.

Pumpkins are in the spare room, all 6 of them that are left.

Last tomatoes got eaten the other day.

Though I cannot see the attraction of all that kind of food, mizz seems to like it so hey..... A fresh squirrel would be more suitable but what does she know eh?

There is some painting going on by the handyman and she had to move out of the left part of the house. The smell was killing her and she cleaned the big livingroom and hoisted the couch there to stay in that part. The gimongous beast of an oven heats very nicely. As a feline I do enjoy taking the best spot in the leanchair (courtesy of P3) in front of the radiating tiles of the oven.

Mizz has got this thing for cleaning and that is annoying. Just when I've shed enough hair to make it all smell quite right, she yells and cleans blankets and throws me outside. Serious, gotta teach her a lesson soon. Claws come to mind!

Why, only a few days ago she was testing out her fancy new sawdust toilet. There she is in the bathroom, on the loo with her pants down. Sawdust toilet compliments of P3 as well.

So looking at her, I am touched by her understanding of indoor facilities. The outhouse was getting a bit cold on the bum so to speak.

As she does her thing, I squat in a corner as well. Convenient spot, right on the unpainted wooden floor of the bathroom right? Out of reach of her.

For no reason at all she screams at me to stop which I mistook as cheers of joy for me spreading my scent to discourage the mice. Hello, it's hard work to keep those out you know?

I had drank richly of the provided milk so there was a firm puddle on the floor.

Now the weird part comes... she mops it up while grumbling something under her breath! Something seriously wrong with that servant... oops, I meant woman!

Now she has placed a chemical toilet next to the sawdust one. The chemical one is without chemicals but wiht a bucket of water to rinse next to it. The sawdust one, I am sad to report, does not smell at all. What's the use of marking your territory if it is without smell?

She throws in foodscraps, vegetable peelings, does her business but thanks to a liberate use of sawdust, still no smell.

She, however, seems to approve of the contraption and it humming to herself about no more cold butts in the winter. Thanks P3.

She's been sewing curtains yesterday. Very good, the moment she yells at me again I can climb to the top via the curtains. That'll teach those pesky humans to not respect my feline sensitivities.

A contraption called a hand sewingmachine was used during this process of sewing. Seems not comfortable, steering the fabric with one hand and turning a wheel with the other. But somehow she seems to manage.

All in all, she seems to be pretty happy and is found humming to herself.

For me as a cat, this is close to purring. Allright for her as long as she remember who employs her.

Me! One-Eye Snorri, the cat with the golden claw!

Now some facts:

P3 ate so much the other day, his chair sank through the floor.

P3 brought over a ton of stuff that is very useful. Amongst which a bicycle for her to travel with. Perhaps a basket placed at the front with a soft pillow could persuade me to travel with her sometimes.

Do not try to sleep in a room where fresh paint has gone on the doors. Nightmare for the throat and try to get the smell off your fur. Mice smell you a mile away really.

Encourage your human to walk with full plates and make them trip. Quickly dive into the mess on the floor and spread with paw. That way she won't want it anymore.

Pee only in the corner when she has her pants down herself. So she cannot come running to you and swing you by the tail.

Well my dear ones, little me hears the carriage pull up outside. The servants... oops did it again, the humans are here to drive me back ot the smallhold. She is probably still sewing or something.

Oh yeah P3?

Sabine and she decided the wood of the workbench was too beautiful to stay in the barn.

So the hoisted the thing to the house, place wooden pieces underneath it so it now overlaps the sink by a few cm only. So they mumbled something about being able to knead dough and admire lovely wood and gorgeous lacquer or whatever...

So the kitchen now has that huge table with other wooden items on it, the other side the smaller table to cook on and your makeshift redneck bench is in the barn to be a workstation once again.

Between those two wimmin, we've not got much of a say really.

And as I have eldest rights, I resent you for getting peppermint tea served in bed. All I get is a cold bowl on the kitchenfloor and that just ain't right!

Next time I'll widdle in your boots.

Beware, mighty claw will strike with a vengeance MWOHAHAHA....

Snorri is at it again....

Hello dear people, the staff has been kind enough to transport me to the library again. It took a little nudge (read claw) to remind them I need the keyboard but here's kitteh.

The place is definitely shaping up by the day. The staff has just driven a car full of garbage to the local dump. Another person has painted almost all doors. He also built in this morning a few cleaning flaps in the chimneys and closed a hole under a new window he'd put in at the attic.

So the sweep cannot complain about safety measures being in place.

Indeed the humongous stove is fed through the kitchen. The advantage being that it heats both livingroom and kitchen at the same time.

My female chauffeur has sewn this thick velvet curtain between hall and kitchen, since it is in place there's a 7 degree difference in temperature between both rooms.

She finally mastered the art of getting the humongous stove to work properly. After all, me needs a warm place for a nap right?

Some wood has been chopped and placed in the old kennel where a d-o-g used to live. Mizz has hoisted so much out of that kennel that she threw her back out. Serves her right, she ought to have gotten rid of all that was in the kennel cos the smell of garbage and-or dog offences my senses.

So only firewood in there now which may attract a mouse sometime. Me lives in hope.

She's got permission to take all the horse manure from the neighbours BIG pile. She scavenged some wood to build hugelkultur beds. So now over the weekend she'll be busy building those while me naps in front of the very cosy fire. Those tiles sure give off a lot of heat don't mind telling ye!

So all in all, the house is liveable now. It needs some tweaking and prettyfying but purrfectly liveable as it is now. She says she will bring a crystal caraffe next time to complete the picture.

All attention is now aimed at the planning of nursery beds, where to put the guinea fowl, geese and ducks.

Very busy. Short days, little light and low energy. Fine as long as she keeps my bowl filled.

P3 you were right about Sabine having her eye on that gorgeous table. I personally hate Sabine. Her female kitteh is the mother of all my offspring and Sabine throws shoes at me to discourage me from singing under her window. Seriously! No taste that woman. Once a bucket of w-a-t-e-r was involved and I will not forgive her, period!

As MIL goes, she's a bad un.

Good taste in tables though.

So that's all for now folks. The staff is driving me home again and it IS time for my mid-afternoon nap.

Take care all.

Yours sincerely,

Snorri Snorrson

Am halfway building hugelkultur beds. Joints gave in after about 20 wheelbarrows. It could have been the other 20 wheelbarrows of bricks that needed hoisting to the back of the property as well. Anyhow, elbow and knee knackered.

The area behind the barn is designated for fowl next year. A matter of cleaning barn even further, spraying for mites and repairing the fence.

Last days have been very cold, rain, sleet and even snow. Trying to arrange the furniture to right position and try to get warm. It's seriously unfunny not being able to get the temp above 12degrees C. Insulation is high on the list as soon as any money would be available.

I go to sleep with a hat on and thermo underwear. Utterly romantic indeed.

Neighbours have this massive oak writing desk which is coming my way. When it's in place, I can at least unpack and sort the books.

Will start monday at the local school to help-teach arts and crafts. First lesson will be macrame. Have to prepare something over the weekend and dig in my books if any pics of knots are there for the kids to see. Volunteer work is not well known here. They thought I'm mental to offer to work for nothing but am glad with the help.

Me will enjoy the work and integrate further into the small community. Intention, have a good time, teach the kids something valuable and make myself known for if and when we need to pull together.

In summer I rented a transportervan to bring loads of stuff here. I moaned and regretted the money spend on rent and gas but now see it was the right move. Got my own 'stuff' with me and also enough to work with. It sure comes in handy. Wouldn't want to have to buy this much yarn, fabric and needles etc again.

BIL has been diagnosed with ALS also known as Lou Gehrig disease. Looking bad for him. He doesn't have long to go anymore.

Ex-army man, UNIFIL in Lebanon, taught tactical warfare are military training later on. Suddenly he's collapsing and with a bad outlook.

Gotta run my dears, hopefully till next week.

Taught an hour of macrame at the local school to 6 and 7 year olds monday. They loved it and I become more part of the community.

Am now the official crafts volunteer.

Am making elderberry syrup on a woodstove that has a tiny compartment for wood and coal. It is impossible to get something really cooking but for the simmer it is perfect. Ended up with 5,5 liter of juice, now with 70% sugar it needs....holy moly, around 13kg of sugar. Another run to the store and where can a girl get her hands on this many jars?

Will sterilise the jars in the barn in the big old washkettle and use the water for laundry later on.

Wood is in short supply so any fire lit is done with care and consideration.

Saturday taking kids next door geocaching for a birthday party with their mum. The boy is getting a firestell for his b-day (with parental permission) and is gettign fire lessons from me.

Casually preppiung those kids for more possibilities then a central heated house with many rooms and a near empty pantry...

Sad innit? But I'm hoping the kids wil realise how important it is to think ahead.

I always liked macrame, it is about the only way many people learn knots these days. Reminds me of my old hippie days, too. :sEm_blush:

You probably will never know how much of a difference you are making in those children's lives. My maternal grandmother was only here for 7 years of my life but she's been a moving force through the many decades since.

My motto is : Little by little by little it all gets done.

-

(P.S. Your name and address is down in the Christmas card exchange. Sign up closes on Dec 1st, and I'll send the PMs with the addresses then.)rudy.gif

Edited because I just can't seem to spell, today.

• 3 weeks later...

Focus has been mainly on doing things inside latey. Curtains, some cleaning.

But where the backwall let some rain in, we've hopefully closed off the gap with some plates. Only time will tell.

Should be shoveling manure on the raised beds now but everything (joints) is so inflamed, I don't seem to get much done. Once it begins to freeze, the air is drier and I feel heaps better. So here's hoping things will speed up.

I'm aiming for having those beds ready before I go to Holland for Christmas.

With the crisis in Dubai me thinks the industry will be hit hard next year. The plans to get animals in might be moved forward. Have to get the barns ready as possible and get the chickens, ducks etc asap. Somehow june seems too late.

People have been lovely to me. Someone donated loads of netcurtains, 3 feather duvets (read three!) plus 2 covers for them. They are warm as anything.

I macrameed a lovely scarf in return for this kind woman who is getting on a bit and wants to clear her house as much as possible.

Hope the wood for the stove will be delivered this week cos I'm running really low now. Cold I don't mind, humidity is a killer.

Cat is cheeky and getting ideas above his station. Chairs no longer suffice to nap on, it has to be a feather down duvet... :unsure:

Archived