MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Son's bootcamp graduation

As you may know, I went to Great Lakes, IL last Thursday to see my youngest son graduate from Navy bootcamp. We flew into O'Hare by way of Salt Lake City with a 2 1/2 hour delay before take off. Friday morning was wonderful though because I saw my wonderful, handsome son for the first time since the end of January. He was part of the rifle drill team which performed at the ceremony. We took him out to a movie and to eat. Saturday we went into Chicago for a tour of the city and a trip to the Field Natural History Museum. While we were downtown, the anti-war protesters were getting ready to express their views. It heartened me to see the number of police officers in riot gear encircling them! Saturday evening all Adam wanted to do was take a long, hot shower and eat pizza in the hotel room. His sister and I gave him a nice back, scalp, and foot massage and he fell asleep for awhile. The poor guy only had about 3 hours sleep the night before because he had to stand watch and the daylight savings time kicked in. Happily, he is moving to his next phase of training, a technical school, tomorrow so he won't be run quite so ragged. On Saturday night, my oldest son called us on the cell phone. He is also at bootcamp at Great Lakes and he managed to get a phone call. He was so proud because he got to be a Division Yeoman and is in charge of other recruits. Sadly, his chosen specialty, sonar didn't work out for him because they decided after he got to bootcamp that his color vision is not good. Personally, I think they could have told him that before he signed up. I will be back to see that son graduate at the end of May or the beginning of June depending on how quickly his division fill out.

....so i can just see your Adam in my minds eye.

Congrats to your oldest Son also on his upcoming graduation and achievements of being a Division Yeoman...

(about that change in specialty...that seems to be the norm in all service branches...same thing happened to my nephews....i guess the military steers them in the direction that they excell in...)

Thanks so much for the update!