MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dog Attack/Fight at Petsmart

The MacKinnon

I was in the Chattanooga PetsMart today picking up a few things for our new puppy. It was "Adoption Weekend" at the store and as I was looking at training collars, I heard an incredible commotion in the center of the store, where special events occur. I can't tell you what happened, except that apparently a woman (or child?) was attacked by a dog, or there was a dog fight and someone was attacked - I ran over thinking I could help somehow, but store employees were hustling to the area.

The screaming was horrible - I don't think I've ever heard anything like it. I googled Chattanooga and PetsMart, dog fight/attack and found that attacks have happened in the store before, both on people and pets. In fact, one lady's Beagle was mauled so badly that the dog died. The attacking dog's owners got off with a citation.

My lab loved going to PetsMart back in San Antonio. Now it's too far a trip (some 55 miles) so bringing the dogs isn't an option, but after this, I think I'd leave my dog at home even if the store were next door!

Wow.

I've always wondered about that. As in, how they keep it from happening. I know for me, there is no way I could trust any one of my 3 dogs in that store. They would act up and likely cause trouble. But just the thought of a store where all these random dogs are welcome all together like that...seems like it's a fight just waiting to happen.

I don't go to pet stores usually---that is one of the best places to pick up disease and track it home on your feet. I've seen people with puppies in these stores ---that is Parvo waiting to happen. Just bcz they have a shot or two, does not make them immune at that point. You must wait a few weeks after the last set of shots are given and even then, there is always a chance that even with an adult dog that it does not give full immunity. We must always be careful.

I've often wondered too--how does one take a male dog in the store? Not sure about neutered but unneutered dogs would be always lifting their legs to mark their territory. The bigger the dog, the worse it would be!

That is awful about the dog fight/attack....I hope they were ok in the end.

Archived