MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Yet another "is this safe??" question

amyd

http://creativecanning.blogspot.com/2009/0...-post_4590.html

It is a chili recipe using dried, unsoaked beans. A couple of days after the jars sealed I shook them around a bit to mix up the ingredients. The beans were sort of packed in the bottom but loosened up with a bit of shaking. I was reading on here yesterday about canning unsoaked dried beans could be unsafe due to density issues. If this isn't safe, I don't want to risk making my family sick!

If it isn't safe, does anyone have a great chili recipe that I can make and safely can?

From the Ball Blue Book:

Chili

5 lbs. Ground Beef

2 Cups chopped onions

1 Clove Garlic, Minced

6 Cups Canned Tomato's and Juice

1/2 Cup Chili Powder

1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt

1 Hot Red pepper, Finely Chopped

1 Teaspoon Cumin Seed

Brown meat in a large saucepot. Drain off excess fat. Add onions & garlic, cook slowly until onions are tender. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off excess fat, if neccessary, before canning.

Ladle hot chili into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and thirty minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

To Serve:

Add cooked or canned pinto or kidney beans; heat and serve.

Note:

When cutting or seeding hot peppers, wear rubber gloves to prevent hands from being burned.

:wormie2:

John

That is why I stress to not follow websites or books that are not USDA tested. There are TONS of each that have unsafe recipes and books. Do you not have a current Ball Blue book and So Easy to Preserve ? I highly suggest you get them since due to the economy, some of the services are being discontinued. Everyone needs to have safe resources at home.

Why do you think they call their site "creative " ? Sure makes me wonder about it.

I have no idea if the recipe is thin enough for the heat to have penetrated it during processing. You will have to decide that. Is it a risk you are willing to take ?

Wormie gave you a safe recipe.

You can also find safe reliable recipes here : If you will bookmark the site you will have access to most all the info and recipes you will need.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_05/chili_con_carne.html

Archived