MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can I can ham and corned beef?

Mari

I was reading in a book that said that corned beef could be canned in cans but had no information about canning in jars. Is this a no-no? I am also wondering about canning ham. The canned ones I bought in the store tasted like spam - no offense to spam lovers - and I would like the taste of real ham.

Only in chunks or sliced for the corned beef. You would add water or broth, just like any other meat if it is cooked meat. If it is raw meat, then it would probably be fine to do it in slices or chunks as well.

Please, bookmark this site and you will find most information about canning foods.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

Now, ham is often mixed with things not suitable for canning. They often have dried milk and things added to them. You normally need to freeze ham. I know there is a tiny bit of ham allowed in canning beans with molasses and tomato sauce, but they are higher in acid due to the tomato sauce added, plus you have some sugar to help with water activity.

• 4 weeks later...
I was reading in a book that said that corned beef could be canned in cans but had no information about canning in jars. Is this a no-no? I am also wondering about canning ham. The canned ones I bought in the store tasted like spam - no offense to spam lovers - and I would like the taste of real ham.

If you like pea soup, try canning it that way..... it's nummy nummy. Darlene has a recipe on here. I don't add the taters, just onions and carrots, peas and ham.

I'm sure there has to be a recipe in the Big Ball book.... I'll take a looksee and let you know. :)

• 3 weeks later...

i make my own corned beef and can it ...i do it in pints and quarts , there is time in the blue ball canning book or usda canning book.......can can ham if it has nothing added ....have canned it with beans and split peas tho...take care and keep the faith

Archived