MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dehydrating Potatoes

TurtleMama

I have 25 pounds of potatoes that I would like to dehydrate. I am wondering if how you cut them makes any difference in their dehydrating success...should I slice them thinly like au gratin potoes, or shred them into hash-brown like shreds?? Also, once rehydrated, can you cook and mash them, or do you have to use them in their dehydrated form?

I had a casualty on the dehydrating front, btw...my husband "helped" me dehydrate celery, but it wasn't totally dehydrated...and he put it in with my celery that WAS dehydrated properly...and I lost ALL my celery. Waaaaaahhhhh!!!! Fortunately, it wasn't too much...8 heads of celery before being dehydrated...still, it's sad to lose food!! I think he'll be more careful from now on -- he was bummed to see all that celery go in the trash!

Last year I cooked and mashed potatoes. With O2absorbers in glass jar alongside dried green beans.

Left two jars out to check and they are looking good. Added lemonjuice to the cookingwater to prevent discoloration.

To eat I'd throw beans, potatoes, anything else plus protein in pot with boiling water and let simmer.

As with all food you want to dehydrate the most important thing is that ALL the pieces are the same thickness. That way they will all be dried at the same time and be uniform size when packing away.

That is why we use a apple corer/slicer when doing apples, pears, etc.

and we have a 'mandalin' (?) slicer for potatoes, tomatoes, etc.

It makes it so much easier to do it this way.

Also don't forget to put lemon juice in the water as you rinse them off (mostly fruit) before laying out on the racks.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Archived