MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Processing time??

bluegrassmom

Here's what's in it ~

20 tomatoes, chopped

5 onions, finely chopped (3 red & 3 white)

8 fresh peaches, pitted, peeled & chopped

6 pears, peeled, cored & chopped

1 green pepper, finely chopped

1 red bell pepper, finely chopped

4 jalepenos finely chopped

3 pablanos finely chopped

4 key limes zested

1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped

3 C. white sugar

1 C. white vinegar

2 Tbls. salt

~ and water bath, right?

I got it from a friend. If it's not safe for canning, that's fine I can use an alternate recipe.

But...a few years ago when I was first learning to can, I asked here at Mrs. S if we could can up those end of the week soups that contain leftover as long as there was not pasta, rice, etc in them. And I was told yes (Westie) that it would be fine. And I've been doing it for years. So everything everyone cans goes by certain regulated recipes?

Yes, you sure should !! Never can your own recipe or one that comes from a "friend" or someone online that has no food preservation training.

I teach food preservation and am trained in USDA guidelines. Your best bet is to stick with the BAll Blue book or So Easy to Preserve from Univ. of Georgia. They also have most of the info online at their site. It would be good if you would bookmark it and use it for quick reference. They are the leading authority on safe food preserving.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

Not all books are safe, either. Many, many are not safe to follow. Same with websites. There are some really unsafe ones online.

The one I gave you is really good ! So is their mango salsa recipe.

As for soups, you do have some leeway, but still, there are guidelines on the site I just gave you.

Archived