MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gah...banks...

bluegrassmom

I just looked my bank account up online. When I looked at it yesterday, everything was fine. Now they have our paycheck from Friday as going in twice, all of bills as coming out twice and EVERYTHING we have ever done from 10-21-10 back as being overdrawn. I don't know who pushed a wrong button, but geez.

We would love to not use banks at all. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them because of things just like this. But the majority of our bills are paid online. And the ones I technically could mail in a money order for...I'm always afraid it will get lost in the mail and since it's not like a check and you can see when it clears I wouldn't know until I got a letter saying I didn't pay my bill. Then I'd be out that money.

I just hate banks.

We use a credit union and have for many years. They're usually locally owned and well run.

Through it, DH pays the bills online, and we have checking, debit cards, etc. We have been very happy with ours.

It was the high fees that turned us away from banks back in the 80s. :(

Just a tip... Everyone should have at least two checking accounts at separate banks. There is a company called Checksystems which operates as a credit reporting agency. In the event that something happens and one of your bank accounts is closed with a balance owing, your bank will report you to this company , making it almost impossible to open another account for 5 years.

Most banks in America run a Checksystems credit check on you prior to allowing you to open an account. (It used to be that only 80% of banks did this. Now, I don't know of a single one that doesn't!) For the backup account, I would look for a bank or credit union that offers truly free checking with no low balance fees. There is nothing worse than having a paper check and no place to cash it! Some banks now charge you to cash a check, even if the check is drawn on their bank.

I worked for the parent company of Checksystems for almost 5 years and the stories that I heard there were outrageous.

Archived