MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I want to take and do an inventory of my food storage. But, how should I do this? Should I just take a notebook and start writing everything I have and dates, etc on it. I have a small house and need to do something . right now most of my food storage is in boxes. I need an easier way to find stuff and rotate without having to unpack the boxes every single time to look for something.

How about putting numbers or letters on the boxes and have a sheet that tells you what is in each numbered/lettered box? If you can make a spreadsheet you could use that to add to or take off when you add or remove itmes from the boxes.

:wormie2:

John

How many people are you storing for? Makes a big difference in methods. For 1 or 2 it can easily be done with just a few dated. color-coded plastic bins (Rubbermaid bins with lids). For more people it gets a bit more complex.

There are lots of free printable pantry inventory sheets available on the internet. I have some sheets that I use, but I can't remember where I got them. I just keep photocopying them. Maybe you could inventory each box and then put an inventory sheet on each box so you don't have to dig through to ascertain the contents. OR you could number each box after you do the inventory and assign one sheet to each box. Staple all of the sheets together and then you have a guide to direct you to box #1 for rice and to box #5 for noodles.

Archived