MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

how long to pressure up?

ok--i am trying my hand at pressure canning AGAIN--how long should it take an all american 921 to get up to 15 pounds pressure? it seems like it is taking a long time...

I have a presto so not sure how similar they are but...... Was the air vent sealed/locked position? It can take awhile depending on how much is in the canner. Once I have the continuous steam flowing out for the required 10 minutes and I put my pressure regulator on it, it doesn't take to long, maybe 5 or 7 minutes, maybe. Do you have the burner at a relatively high heat setting?

i don't know what was weird with that load--i let it exhaust for 10 min then put the weight on--40 min later it still wasn't up to pressure--so i stopped it and am running it again with nothing in it to see what was wrong--thanks

A 921 if filled with the proper amount of hot water to begin with and if that water is brought up to temp prior to putting in the jars, allowed to fully steam for the required 10 mins before putting on the weight should be up to 15 lbs. pressure within 10 mins. max and usually much less assuming proper level of heat. If not then something is wrong.

Are you "not up to pressure" according to your gauge or according to your weight? Gaugue could easily be off by several pounds which is why they call for annual recalibration. If the weight wasn't spin/hissing then the vent tube could be partly blocked (use a wire pipe cleaner). If neither gauge or weight was up to pressure then most likely problem is the heat source is insufficient.

i was going by the weight--everything else is just like you listed it-- i have canned several things on this stove so it seems the heat source isn't the problem--

Archived