MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canned Chicken Clumped Together

TurtleMama

I wanted to run this by y'all...since I am still new to canning, I question every result I get. LOL

I raw-packed some chicken yesterday -- usually I hot-pack it but I was running super short on time -- and when I took the chicken out of the canner, the pieces had clumped together into one solid, cylindrical clump-o-poultry that is kind of floating in the middle of the jar. It won't break apart, even when I shake the jar. I know it shrinks when you raw-pack, but I didn't know it would clump like that. I'm mostly worried about whether it cooked fully inside the clump. I imagine that 75 minutes at 15 pounds pressure would cook almost ANYTHING, but I wanted to ask here to make sure that it's safe. I've just never had chicken do this before! :shrug:

One of the jars did not seal (dangit!), and it was cooked through. It was also devoured by my husband, who loves how home-canned chicken tastes. LOL Any thoughts on my congealed chicken breast? :blush:

It is normal TurtleMama, all of my jars are like that. Legs, thighs, & breast all clump together when I can them. I have yet to get a piece of chicken out of a jar that is whole even when i can chicken with the bone in. It surprised me when I opened my first jar also. It sounds like you did a great job!

:wormie2:

John

Yeah it happens. Even at only 10 lbs. much less at 15 lbs. Over time on the shelf it will separate some.

Yet another reason why I don't like raw pack. Hot pack wins hands down IMO.

Whew! I'm so glad that it's not abnormal! I'm in good company. :D Dave, I normally do hot pack -- I was running on a premium of time yesterday. I was cooking & canning 20 pounds of chicken and both my kids were home and wanting my attention! LOL It was interesting...as long as my chicken won't bust its seal, I'm okay with it being clumpy!

In the future, though, I will try to make time to hot pack. :)

Wormie, are you feeling better?

Archived