MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Turkey - Too Late ???

YYY

Hi Everybody

Today is Saturday. Last Monday I was given 2 frozen turkeys. This has been one of “those” weeks, so they have been thawing in the refrigerator since that time. I will not be able to get to canning them until tomorrow (Sunday). I know I will have to use my eyes and nose to decide if the meat seems to be OK. My question is this: Even if all seems to be OK, have I waited too long to can it?

Thanks in advance,

YYY

Takes the average one 3-4 days to defrost in the fridge depending on the size. Yours have been in there 2 days longer, right. Are they fully thawed inside? If not then no problem IMO. Otherwise I'd be a bit concerned.

If I were to can them I'd sure use hot pack, not raw pack. I'd precook them well first for some added anti-bacterial safety.

If you wait to see or smell signs of food spoilage, it has been bad for a while already. There is a lot of bacteria, enough to make you sick before you detect those signs.

However, if they took a few days to thaw, then sat another few days, I would not can after tomorrow, for sure. I think if you do them Sunday they will be OK, but no longer than that.

I do think Dave has a good idea to hot pack, too. Be sure the broth is boiling as it goes into the jars, too.

Archived