MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Towel instead of rack in a pressure canner?

bluegrassmom

No, it will work. As long as it is wet it won't do any harm. I think in times of dire need if we need sterile cloths we should put them in the pressure canner or a pressure cooker.

Don't you have a rack for your p. canner ?

:knary: Violet said YES! LOL

OK here is my 2 cent worth...............

IF you are going to do this I would WET the towel before putting it in and THEN add the 'normal' amount of water before putting in the jars.

** I would worry about the towel 'sucking' up all the water and changing the pressure inside the canner? :shrug:

:AmishMichael2:

I agree it would work fairly well but it sure isn't the best solution. Even in a BWB there are other items that work better than a towel.

If your canner is deep enough for stacking just pick up a second rack for your canner. They are readily available and cheap.

Personally, I would use the rack in the bottom and then stagger the next layer of jars over the bottom layer. It is best to have a rack, but you don't have to. Just as long as you don't sit one jar on top of another. I would start looking for another rack. Here I find things that will work at the thrift stores. Usually 99 cents or so.

I am getting ready to take some half pints of mushrooms out of the canner now.

Archived