MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ummm....Hi?

etdeb

Wow, this is different. But nice. No clue how to do smilies here...

I've stopped in here a few times this past year, didn't post....we'll be running off again soon and don't know if it'll be a temp or perm job so I may or may not have internet access to keep posting.

Posted on wild foods in the Uh-oh forum...those of you who know me are saying "well of COURSE".... hee hee hee.

--The trouble with being an optimist is people think you don't know what's going on.

------------------

Marjor.jpg

Hey Marjorie let me welcome you wavey.gif

Where are you from? What kind of job are you going to? Do you post from work now?

Ohhhhh Soooo many questions for the new kid on the block. I am sure someone will be along shortly with goodies on their cart. I just have coffee right now, with a little dollop of whip cream, freshly ground coffee, sit down and join me. Let's see what everyone brings us. Might as well relax and let them do the work. lol.gif

come on Spot, Beb, snowy, do where is our food? We're hungry

grin.gif

------------------

brigid.gif

Nice to see you again, Marjorie!!

You are missed. I remember how very knowledgeable you are on living off the land.

We need you on a regular basis!

Here's hoping you get a job with online accessability smile.gif

------------------

eaglew.jpg

[This message has been edited by Ginger (edited August 05, 2002).]

So good to see you again, hope you will be able to keep on posting. smile.gif

We have missed you around here you know, so if possible, keep on posting. smile.gif

Ok, it is only just after 10:30 here, so have brought some nice warm muffins and coffeecake for everyone. smile.gif

Morning Bridie, hope you are having a good day. smile.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Hi Guys!!!! Thanks for still being here and waitin for me! I missed breakfast so i brought one of those 6 foot sub sandwiches loaded with ham/turkey/roast beef/hard salami/ cheese/lettuce/toms/green pepper/black olive......(someone stop me....i'm hungry so i'm throwin more stuff on the sandwich)....iced tea and chips....

Whos bringing the vegetarians they're lunch?

Anyway......I'ts great to meet you Margorie...Welcome back!

OOOOOOPs....i forgot pickles!

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bc.FHX9AZpQpY9DM

[This message has been edited by debbielee (edited August 05, 2002).]

Marjorie!!! So good to "see" you again!! grin.gif

We've missed you around here, and more than once in the past year I've wished I could ask you a question or two! wink.gif

------------------

gl.jpg

Well that's cool smile.gif People actually do remember me grin.gif

Ed, Pat says hi back, Josie's in the tub. Lois, I'd forgotten about us following each other around the forums. GooseLiver, ask away smile.gif Cat, Dee, Ginger, Snowmom, Di, thanks for the welcome back smile.gif

And for all you who don't know me, here's a little background.

I am a stay-at-home mom of Josie (6yo), married for 7 years. I hope to work this year and go back to school next year for nursing using my GI Bill. I was in the Navy for 4 1/2 years, DH was in for 10.

Currently DH (Reloader) is an electrician. We travel around the country on short jobs that last 4 weeks to 3 months at a shot. We are trying to find one that will last a year or so so that I can go back to work and put Josie in school. When they are the short term jobs, we don't have ISP access to our RV so I have to rely on library access.

I love everything that has to do with nature, the outdoors, primitive skills, etc. I don't do the "modern" outdoor experience so much, but anything primitive (including wild foods, flintknapping, traps, etc) I'm interested in. I used to moderate the wilderness skills forum here at Mrs S but left due to my intermittent ISP access on the road.

DH used to moderate The Shop.

I found the site in 1998 way back in the day (anyone remember the YKK zipper thread? grin.gif) I left in gosh I guess 2000 and have only come back to glance in now and then since, never posted. The last time I looked in was late 2001/early 02. I just decided to see what was going on here and couldn't resist posting to a wild foods thread in Uh-oh.

So here I am, back until the next job takes my family again (hoping that this time it'll be a longer term one where we can have ISP access).

Namaste,

------------------

Marjor.jpg

Guest Guest

Josie and Reloader! dugh! For those that have never met..Reloader is an expert marksman..I can vouch for that! Still remeber swapping stories around the fire! Josie is the cutest most polite little girl! Hope y'all find a perfect spot to settle down ..if that what y'all want...trying to sound Southern here with my Boston accent! LOL! smile.gif Best of luck and keep in touch as you can! Ed

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Guest Guest

EWWWWWWWWWWW! Who put *iced tea* on this sub??? It's WET! frown.gif

GREAT to see you again, Marjorie! I was looking at ed's "Da Party" pics yesterday & was reminded of how sweet your little one looked! Bet she's really a *big girl* by now!

The smilies are at the left of your message/reply box when you're writing... says "Smilies Legend" (which is *not* a story of how the Smilies came to dominate the Internet!!). grin.gif

Just stop in when you can, and we'll leave the (battery powered) light on for ya!!

------------------

cat.jpg

Guest Guest

Hi !!!

We missed you! Welcome back!!!!!!

You still have me wondering why 100% cotton is not a good choice for hiking wear.... Yes, we remember all your good info. We missed you.........

Cotton is a negative insulator, meaning if it gets wet, it not only gives you zero insulation--it actually takes heat FROM your body. While this is nice on hot summer days (helps keep you cool) if a sudden rainstorm comes up or an accident happens (and don't try to say "but that's NOT going to happen"--by their very nature, accidents are not able to be predicted)...anyways, if that cotton gets wet and you are either unable to get back to your car/camp or are plain old lost, that wet cotton will greatly enhance your chances of getting hypothermia. Yes, I know you're saying "but in the SUMMER?" Yes! Not only do nighttime temps drop, but cloud cover also precipitates a drop in temp. And if you are chilled in soaking wet cotton, your body is going to have a hard time making enough heat to keep your body temp where it should be. More hypothermia cases happen at 60deg than at 40deg F. If you find yourself in this situation, it is better to start a fire and remove as much of your clothing as possible letting it dry by the fire than to stay in wet cotton. (Okay, I"m not talking 85 deg and sunny here.) At the least, if night is approaching, get the cotton away from your skin by stuffing grass or leaves in your clothing.

IMHO, it is better to buy a hiking outfit out of some of that man-made stuff that the outdoors shops sells--that which wicks the moisture away from your skin. Or use some *lightweight* light colored wool (probably would have to sew it yourself, summerweight wool is not very common in stores) and layer with cotton so you can have the best of both worlds. The wool if something happens (wool retains 60% of its insulating properties when wet) and the cotton to keep you cool. Just a lightweight wool overshirt that you can tie around your waist is better than nothing.

Oh, and a knife in your pocket grin.gif

------------------

Marjor.jpg