MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Constar financial

indy gal preps

Whenever I need to learn more about a collection company, I go to www.creditboards.com . The interesting thing is that I was unable to find anything about them whatsoever...sounds kind of scammy to me! Creditboards has 107,000 members! If they haven't heard of the company, then it probably is a scam or it is an old company operating under a new name.

Does your son know if the debt is legitamate? If it is, then he might want to ask the original company (whoever he actually owed) to call the debt back into their office and he can address it with them. Otherwise, he'd probably want to ignore this company and wait for them to sell the debt to another collection agency. In either case, the Creditboards website has a wealth of information and he might find some useful information about dealing with the current debt collector.

check out the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, if you haven't already. It regulates what a collection agency can and cannot do to collect a debt.

Years ago, I was stupid with credit cards and had some (legitimate) collections. But I actually had a guy threaten to have someone come and break my legs . . . and got it on tape! That was fun (check your state laws before recording conversations).

You may also recommend he read some Dave Ramsey stuff - so that this doesn't happen again.

Credit is EVIL.

Archived