MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

GIANT Tangerine!

DonsCountryGal

After the 3-day freeze we had in Tucson last February, and I lost most of my tangerine crop and about a third of my grapefruits, I thought I'd lost both trees as well. All the leaves dropped from the grapefruit...it did refoliate, but did not flower for a crop. The tangerine didn't lose many leaves...did flower...and produced some of the biggest tangerines I've ever seen!

The one on the left is the 'normal' size that I usually harvest.

As you can see, the one on the right has a circumference of 9 3/4 inches!! Unfortunately, I forget to weigh them. <_<

BIGTangerine.jpg

When I ate it, it was very sweet and juicy!

Last night, I spent about 3 hours peeling, cutting and seeding 36 tangerines. Tonight, I processed them into 9 1/2 pints of yummy marmalade.

T-Marmalade2012.jpg

I used a different recipe than last year, and I think this batch is so much better...just tangerines and sugar. Last year's included some water and a couple lemons...turned out too watery and I wasn't all that happy with the taste. I think DH might even like this batch...he doesn't like stuff with any sourness to it.

Next week, a co-worker will bring in some ready-to-bake biscuits that we'll bake in the kitchen there, and I'll bring a jar of marmalade so our other co-workers can enjoy some. Yummmmmm!

How funny! My clementines are normal but my tangerine tree produced three monster fruits like yours and that was it! I had a huge crop last year but this year only the three godzilla tangerines, same thing with my orange tree. Hmmmm. Radiation?

Just kidding! (I hope)

Nice job on the marmalade!

Archived