MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cornaby's Ultra Gel

Has anyone used Cornaby's Ultra Gel? It was another goody I found in the Honeyville recipes. It was in a cobbler using dehydrated berries. I'm thinking about getting it for trail recipes. I'm thinking mock cobbler if I can cook biscuits in a skillet on our stove and pasta salad with Italian dressing.

This from the Cornaby's website.

What is Ultra Gel?

small_ultra.jpg

Ultra Gel, fondly known as our Magic Mix in, is an instant thickener made from waxy maize (a variety of corn). It can be directly added to any liquid, hot or cold, for instant thickness and hold. Even better the thickening power of Ultra Gel holds up to freezing, canning and refrigerating. Our thickened products stay thick! This versatile product is fondly referred to as 'kitchen duct tape' because we reach for it in any kitchen disaster and there are a lot of messes it can hold together.

Unlike other non instant starches Ultra Gel does not need to be added to water or other ingredients before being added to a recipe. Simply sprinkle Ultra Gel in and work with a wire whisk. Ultra Gel is resistant to lumping and adds no color or flavor of its own, guaranteeing your food tastes the way you want it to, with no paling or chalky aftertaste.

Ultra Gel is a gluten free product, offering kitchen freedom at a price and convenience which can't be beat.

Conversion ratio:

Corn Starch 1 Tbl=2 Tbl Ultra Gel

Flour 1 Tbl=1.5-2 Tbl Ultra Gel

If you work in units of weight instead of volume then the conversion is straight across gram per gram.

Archived