MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Phone safety question...

Cat

From arby in the Shout Box:

:

(26 March 2013 - 12:05 AM) For two days now about I have been getting weird phone calls. Not the usual where it might be a bill collector--- from two different States but ones close enough they could have driven to the one they called from tonight. Its a mans voice I absolutely do not recognize and not with avg telemarketer or collector tones.

: (26 March 2013 - 12:07 AM) It sounds like some really mad man who hangs up fast but its like he is trying to track me down. Not for good reasons or mere business

(26 March 2013 - 12:11 AM) My name is fairly common and I think he has me mistaken for someone else. But it is beginning to worry me. I feel like I am being stalked by someone who thinks I am someone else. Can people gps you these days? From a short phone call?

(26 March 2013 - 12:19 AM) Both phone calls may be from the same man for they are similar. In tone and expression.

Thoughts? Help?

As I posted in shoutbox...................................................

I think you should call police just to be sure? Not much they can do as it sounds too short to trace. BUT this way there is a record of when it started and how many times. I take it your phone doesn't have caller ID?

Edited by Amishway Homesteaders

First call the phone company and tell them you are being harrassed. Then call the police. If a number is coming up, write it down or at least don't delete it from your caller i.d.. It might just be somone that is drunk and/or dialing the wrong number but better to be safe than sorry.

You want both the phone company and the police dept to have a record that you called in a complaint in case it keeps happening.

I'd also call the phone company, tell them about the harassing calls, and ask for a number change -- when I had to do that the rep said they'd do it once for free. I'd also opt for the unlisted/unpublished option too, it's only about an additional $3/month, but I found it to be worth it.

(So it's not lost in the Shout Box)

arby : (26 March 2013 - 08:40 AM) I woke up nervous LOL. I wont be answering anymore no name numbers this week. @ arby : (26 March 2013 - 08:32 AM) My phone has caller id but the numbers had no names. Not as unavailable however

lumabean : (26 March 2013 - 10:43 AM) That's scary, Arby! In addition to the police, I'd call the phone company and ask for a number change. Years ago I had to do that, and the rep told me that due to the circumstances, they'd change it *once* for free - when I did, we also opted to have it unlisted and unpublished as well (I believe that fee is about $3/month, which I found to be worth it)

Philbe : (26 March 2013 - 11:05 AM) Arby...definitely call the phone company. They can "re-route" your number through their auditing system for a short period of time. I had to do that once. After that, I didn't get any further calls of that nature. Again, not long ago, before I was married to MM, I got a couple of calls and so I just reached over, touched the # sound on my phone and said "operator, this is the call source #***** (just make up a number) that I've reported, and promptly hung up. Never got one again.

(So it's not lost in the Shout Box)

arby : (26 March 2013 - 08:40 AM) I woke up nervous LOL. I wont be answering anymore no name numbers this week. @ arby : (26 March 2013 - 08:32 AM) My phone has caller id but the numbers had no names. Not as unavailable however

lumabean : (26 March 2013 - 10:43 AM) That's scary, Arby! In addition to the police, I'd call the phone company and ask for a number change. Years ago I had to do that, and the rep told me that due to the circumstances, they'd change it *once* for free - when I did, we also opted to have it unlisted and unpublished as well (I believe that fee is about $3/month, which I found to be worth it)

Philbe : (26 March 2013 - 11:05 AM) Arby...definitely call the phone company. They can "re-route" your number through their auditing system for a short period of time. I had to do that once. After that, I didn't get any further calls of that nature. Again, not long ago, before I was married to MM, I got a couple of calls and so I just reached over, touched the # sound on my phone and said "operator, this is the call source #***** (just make up a number) that I've reported, and promptly hung up. Never got one again.
from what Phibe posted in last part..............................

@Philbe I got to use that part about using the # button and saying TONIGHT! Got one of those credit card calls (again) and did it – they hung up QUICK! THANKS

went like this..................
phone rang and I answered it-
telemarketer called about credit card I don't even have (we have none) so as soon as she started talking I hit the # button 2 times and said" Operator THIS is the call I need traced " hit the # button again and said " code number 3537 unsolicited call"
She couldn't hang up fast enough!
Edited by Amishway Homesteaders
  • 2 weeks later...