MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone else watching PBS???

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

I've found some really great shows lately on PBS.

"The Six Wives of Henry VIII" is a quality production about Henry #8's fruitless attempt for a male heir (or to quench his appetite for other stuff). It takes a look at the women who bravely tried their best to satisfy him. Part 2 airs tonight here.

"History Detectives" - *WOW*! This is one I'll want to keep watching for. Each show has several "mysteries" and shows how several researchers check local and distant sources to prove or disprove an element of history (artifacts, legends, etc.). It's a wonderful source for people interested in geneology; see how the pros research!

"Mystery" had a new 1920's-era "Murder-She-Wrote-type" show with Diana Rigg as the heroine. The one I saw was a murder in a traveling gypsy show.

Tonight "National Geographic Specials" highlights the FBI... should be interesting.

DH had another history show on earlier this week. It was a family living in England as people did during the second world war. I was only half listening, but I understood rationing seemed a major problem. Of course it would've been much different if all your neighbors were going through the same things.

And I watched a touching show about the United Kingdom's "Queen Mum". It sounded like she was a major influence in making the royal family more "real" to the public.

Check them out!!

http://www.pbs.org/

Guest Guest

You know what Cat? Living out here in the country we have DTV (Direct TV) which is a dish with I have no idea how many channels available to us. Most of what I watch is our local PBS or Discovery, TLC, A&E and the History channels.

I watched the Henry VIII's series on our PBS last week. I enjoyed it so much but then I read every book by Norah Lofts probably 25 years ago that she wrote of Henry and his wives.

I love the programs on mummys, Aztecs, Incas, etc. On Sunday afternoon I watched a show on the Windsor's.

One program DH and I watched a few months ago was on finding certain men all over the world that had a certain gene or DNA strain or something that takes us all back to Africa. It was so good!

I just love this kind of television.

Yes, I've been watching Henry VIII and have enjoyed it. There's also another good show on tonight called "Moments in Time" . Can't remember which cable channel it is. Probably Discovery, Learning or History. Last week was about the Black Plague. Tonight is supposed to be about Napolean. The other episodes were about George Washington at Valley Forge and also one about the Jamestown settlers.

Guest Guest

Oh darn, I didn't know that was on.I would have taped it. I watched it in High School and loved it.Well Maybe I'll tape the rest. It'sa favorite of mine.Love history. D

We watched the '1900 House' last Sunday night. Didn't even know it was going to be on. Just happened to turn it on to PBS. It wasn't coming in very good, so wasn't as interesting as if it had been nice and clear.

We don't have cable or a dish, we just get what we get. PBS sometimes ABC and CBS.

Would love the History and Discovery, but can't do.

Guest Guest

Same here, Snowmom... no money for cable or satellite.

I'm divided on it, anyway. With more to choose, it would take more of our time.

But then it would be more we could *choose*, and thus better viewing.

DH keeps it on even if he falls asleep, and sometimes the kids see/hear some inappropriate stuff before I or they wake him.

And of course *he* has to have the remote (tho sometimes I sneak it away after he falls asleep! LOL).

• 2 weeks later...