MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question on tomatoes

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

OK I put up my first tomatoe's a few weeks ago so I need some one to tell me why they were sucked up in the top of jars and the juice was on bottom,someone said they weren't packed tight enough but I could not get anymore in.

And is it okay if my purple hull peas don't have juice covering all peas?

Yeah....and why did my strawberries float up to the top and the bottom is all clear on my jam......huh.......why??

WHo's out there to help us??

Hey Patty.......maybe we should ask these questions in the orchard and old stove forums if we don't get answers in a couple of days.

I'm not sure why your tomatoes floated, sometimes it is just the tomatoes that you use, some are meatier than others. A lot of tomatoes have a lot of juice (water) there is nothing wrong with them. they will taste just great when you get ready to eat them. On the jam, look at it this way Debbie, if some one can't eat the seeds you have jelly at the bottom of every jar.....

Motherearth,Westbrook, Hillbillie or some one else might have a better answer for you.

Guest Guest

Patty, your tomatoes are fine, as long as they sealed. Raw packed foods that are delicate, like tomatoes and peaches often shrink during the water bath, and even though you filled the bottles thoroughly, the shrinkage will cause them to float to the top.

I don't know about your peas. I know corn will turn brown if it is not covered in the jar.

I don't can jam, so I don't know about that one.

Guest Guest

Generally, when you put raw foods into your jars and then can them, you'll have less liquid and more floating. Heating/cooking them removes air and you'll have less floating.

Tomatoes seem to "do their own thing", hot or cold. It doesn't hurt them. But do understand that today's tomatoes contain less acid than older varieties, and you need to add lemon juice according to the "Blue Book" directions.

I've never had the fruit in my jams separate like that. I wonder if you cooked it long enough after adding the pectin?? It won't hurt it as long as they've sealed. Just stir before using.

Patty, how low is the water in your peas??

Guest Guest

Hello Cat my tomatoe's well I have some of the older one's so I can have the same product next year and my husband has all kind's so he mix's them when he bring's them in so I have NO idea which is mine, next year they well be planted someplace else not with his and for my pea's they have water but not sure if it was enough they have atleast 1/2 are more water just small space at top doesn't.

Guest Guest

Debbielee......I learned how to can from Rox, in 1999. Seems like all I did that year was can. I bought a canner, and dove in. I was scared of pressure canning too, until I did it. The only thing to remember is to NEVER leave it unattended. I would sit on a stool and read while my loads were under pressure. You just have to adjust the heat if the needle starts getting too high. I promise, after you've done it once, you won't be afraid of it anymore.

We are STILL eating all the meat, veggies, conserves, and fruits that I canned in 99. They are still so good. CM is real sensitive to a metallic taste in foods that are in cans....especially acidic foods like tomatoes. It doesn't happen with the jars, and they keep for a good long time....if kept in a cool, dark place.....like the basement.

Questions? Ask away......we'll be there for ya!

Guest Guest

Deb, most fruits, and tomatoes, which are technically fruit, can be water bathed. Try my brandied cherry recipe that I posted. I've also been busy canning blueberry pie filling, blueberry conserves, and a yummy peach conserve with pineapple, orange, marichino cherry, and brandy. The last two recipes are in the ball book.

I haven't found any great deals on meat this year. I only can foods that are too expensive to buy, like meat (chicken, beef, pork), berries (which are usually very expensive here in the desert), and veggies like asparagus, and carrots. Beans, peas, and corn are cheap, so I stock those in cans. CM loves weird stuff like pickled garlic and onions, and relishes that I dont care for, so I do those for him.

A bushel of tomatoes, and I'm finished for this year.

Guest Guest

I forgot, I have a recipe for Plum Pudding from my SIL that has been handed down for I don't know how many generations. It is a water bathed recipe, and comes with a hard sauce recipe, and is a must for Thanksgiving and Christmas gatherings in my family. It is against USDA regs, but I have been making it for 20 years, (I've been pressure canning since 99) and my SIL's family has been making it for generations. If anyone wants the recipe, I will post it. I've had it in my pantry for over 2 years, and it was still fresh and good, no problems.

Hi Mare,

Can you tell me how to make your blueberry pie filling?

My next project is to can peaches......i know the recipe is in the ball book.....but do anybody do it differently?

I'd like your plum pudding recipe to copy and keep for when i get my pressure canner. Bet it's tastey!

Hey Mare......how you feeling ??

Guest Guest

Deb, I just make a light syrup and raw pack my berries, then I add the rest of the pie ingredients later. Or, you could try this recipe I just found.......wish I'd found it before I did mine:

Blueberry Pie Filling Recipe

1 QUART FILLING

3 1/2 c Fresh or thawed blueberries

3/4 c plus 2 tb Granulated sugar

1/4 c Clear Jel; plus... 1 tb Clear Jel

1 c Cold water

3 1/2 ts Bottled lemon juice

3 dr Blue food coloring (opt.)

1 dr Red food coloring (opt.)

Wash and drain fresh blueberries. For fresh fruit, place 6 cups at a time in 1 gallon boiling water. Boil each batch 1 minute after the water returns to a boil. Drain but keep heated fruit in a covered bowl or pot. Combine sugar and Clear Jel in a large kettle. Stir. Add water and, if desired, food coloring. Cook on medium high heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Add lemon juice and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Fold in drained berries immediately and fill jars with mixture without delay, leaving 1 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process immediately.

Note that it is for one quart, and adjust your measurements according to how much you want to make. Check your Ball book for the appropriate time in the water bath. I use high altitude time and it probably wouldn't work for you. Sheesh, can't find my Ball book either right now, or I'd look it up for you. We are in such disarray right now.....but for good reason.

I went to get the Plum Pudding recipe, and my book is gone! It has been in the same place for almost 9 years, and it's gone! It's a book I made myself of all my family and friends most treasured recipes, and I'm sick cause I can't find it. As soon as I locate it, I'll post the recipe.

Oh Gee Mare.......i sure hope you can find it !!!

Thanks for that recipe...gotta try and find that clear jell.....i see "sure jell" alot .......not the "clear" one.

When you make your filling (using your canned berries).......do you drain the syrup and add your other ingredients?

I just canned peaches for the first time.....man.....i'm thinkin it's easier to buy those suckers next time!

Guest Guest

LOL.....some things are too much work, which is why I can only what is more expensive to buy.....cept tomatoes, cause of Cavey's aversion to that metallic taste.

I use the syrup from the berries, add some lemon juice, and a bit of corn starch to thicken, and you have blueberry pie filling!

Glad you're getting into this deb.....I know you'll find it to be so satisfying.....and you''ll come to LOVE the sound "ping"!

My Mom has the plum pudding recipe too, and she found hers, so I'll post it after I see her next. It is a water bath recipe that I make in the early fall, and it's perfect by Thanksgiving. Also has a hard sauce with it.

We have really enjoyed the Limoncello this year. Poured over crushed ice, it is so refreshing.

Guest Guest

Here ya go Deb.

Plum Pudding

1 C. butter

2 C. white sugar

4 eggs, beaten

2 C raw grated carrots

2 C raw grated apples

2/3 lb raisins, dusted with flour

1/2 lb candied cherries, dusted with flour

2 C walnuts

2 tsp vanilla

1 C milk

3 C flour

1 T baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp nutmeg

1/3 tsp cloves

1/3 tsp allspice

2 tsp soda in water

Cream the butter and sugar to the consistency of whipped cream. Add beaten eggs. Add grated carrots, apples, raisins, cherries and nuts. Sift flour and measure, add baking powder, salt and spices. Add the flour mixture to carrot mixture. Dissolve 2 tsp soda in a little water and add to mixture; blend well.

Fill greased quart jars 2/3 full. Steam in a steamer for 3 hours. Refrigerate 2-3 days, then keep in a cool, dark place. Keeps well as long as the jar isn't opened. I make this when the apples come on, and it's well matured by Thanksgiving.

Hard Sauce:

1 C sugar

1 T cornstarch

1 C cold water

Cook until the sugar is dissolved. Then add:

1/2 C butter

3 T rum or brandy

Serve pudding warm with Hard Sauce, and top with fresh, whipped cream.

Debbielee, I learned to cheat a little when I can fruit. It's so much trouble to start from scratch, and so expensive in the small cans, I just about gave up. Then I came up with the idea of buying the big # 10 cans, and canning then in quart jars.

I've done peaches, apple slices, pears, applesauce, and fruit cocktail this way, and they turn out great! I've even added ginger to some of the peaches, and nutmeg to the fruit cocktail, for a different flavor. I also turned some of the applesauce into applebutter, and spiced some apple slices for pan frying or pies.

The best part is, I can get the # 10 cans for under $3.00 each, and I get about 4 quarts per can! I just process them as tho I started from scratch, but without all of the work.

Unfortunately, I still haven't mastered jellies and jams. Maybe I'll try them again this season.

Good luck with your canning....I learned about the same time as Mare, and at the same place, right here at MrsS!

Nana

Hi Mare......soooooo happy you found your recipe!

That looks really great.....i'm gonna try it this year.

Got a couple questions for ya tho......err.......where are the plums??

And...

Quote:
Fill greased quart jars 2/3 full. Steam in a steamer for 3 hours.
Do you put the lids on like you would when canning?

I appreciate you going out of your way to find that recipe!

Hey....great idea Nan....who'd a thunk it?

smoooooches all!