MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A question about sweet corn

Guest Guest

We live close to Ft. Dodge, IA and they just had a project there of sending something like 4,000 ears of sweet corn to the troops in Iraq. Tonight on the news they were reporting that the corn got there and the Ft. Dodge guard cooked it and treated themselves and other soilders in Baghdad.

Now here's my question. It was reported that some of the American troops had never eaten sweet corn and some had others had never even heard of sweet corn. Here in Iowa we go mad during corn season and can't get enough. Is that just an Iowa thing, a midwest thing or do the rest of you eat sweet corn too? I was floored hearing some had never had it or heard of it!

All I know is that in the west, that being the Pacific Northwest, the midwest and the southwest, all eat sweet corn. My husband works in a frozen food plant that is in high corn season right now. Their biggest market for sweet corn is Japan. Now sweet corn on the cob may be new for some, just like dairy milk. Our corn plant sell frozen corn cobs to the entire world.

That's what I mean Joan, eating it right off the cob. Do you eat it that way? Peaches and cream is the best Brigid, it's so sweet. Lowie how about you, do you even eat corn? We've had 7 exchange students live with us and none of the Europeans ate corn. They said it's animal food.

That Is a shocker....where do those boys live i wonder?

I can vouch for corn on the cob eatin here in New England........ya can't have a clam/lobsta bake without sweet corn on the cob thrown in!

I'm Lovin corn season...ya hoooooooooooooo!

THat sure was nice of Fort Dodge!

Interesting post!

I'm originally from the NE area and sweet corn is a staple for summer meals. I moved to the South (GA) six years ago and the most popular corn here is "yellow field corn". It is not sweet at all. We grow our own silver queen sweet corn because it is hard to come by down here!

The yellow field corn is much better for putting up and creaming then sweet corn.

Shell

I'm guessing it was the "on the cob" that threw them! I doubt many city people eat it that way. Too much work, etc. Cans are easier to carry home, too.

I can't imagine life without sweet corn!!

We had my Brazilian "brother" at my house, and he thought we had somehow artificially sweetened the corn!

We eat lots of sweetcorn here in England - on the cob, tinned and frozen. I can get organic frozen or tined in the supermarket. so usually have a few tins stashed away in the larder. I grow my own every year but it can be a bit hit and miss depending on the amount of sunshine there is; this year's crop is looking good and almost ready o pick; I put on the pan to boil before I go out and pick it so it is cooked as fresh as possible before the sugar turns to starch. Fresh is my favourite, but I admit to sometimes eating it straight out of the can with a teaspoon! For heating, I just tip it in the pan with a good knob of butter. Hungry now.................!

Lowie, do you have certain animal pests that are really attracted to your corn?

We have a real problem with raccoons here. Even with field corn all around, they *love* the sweet corn and will devastate a patch.

No racoons in Dorset! One animal considered a pest in some gardens though is the badger; sweetcorn straight off the plant is one of their favourites! There are badgers who eat veg in some of the gardens in the village, but not mine, sadly; badgers are lovely, we think. They can do a lot of damage both to lawns and veg though.

Our corn gets the occasional earwig but nothing too drastic! So compared to racoons we get off very lightly I think.