MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

TICK TOCK.....

Guest Guest

I got three more Christmas gifts bought the day before yesterday for under $15...for all three of them! I'm excited about trying to figure out how to save money as I think of all the other gifts I have to buy! I took you advice and made a list of people and am writting down ideas of what I can give everybody for less $$$$....some I may even make myself!

I plan on making a scarf for my FIL, maybe even for my MIL...and a set of cards for a few of the men in the family so that they have cards to give through out the year....some food gifts, and some theme baskets for others....we'll see how everything turns out!

Way to go, Happygirl! I'm proud of you! At this rate, you'll be finished with your Christmas shopping before Halloween!

Stick to your budget, and you'll have the most stress-free Holiday season, ever! Keep up the good work!

Love,

Nana

Thanks Nana! We are REALLY tight on $ this year, and it seems as though some people still expect very nice gifts...so I'll do my best....

I'm thinking about doing some of those cookie mixes in a jar, or just baking them and putting them nicely on a paper plate for some of the elderly neighbor ladies and couples in our building....there are quite a few, and some have recently lost their husbands....

Happygirl, if you have elderly neighbors you'd like to gift for Christmas, think about inviting them over to help decorate your tree, or to watch a classic Christmas movie. Even an invitation for supper; nothing fancy, maybe home made soup or stew. Maybe they'd enjoy baking cookies with you.

I don't mean all of them, or all at once. Just talk to them when you get a chance, you'll figure out who and when to invite to what. Think about it. You'll come up with a good plan, and it will make someone's Holidays very memorable.

Love,

Nana

Happygirl, I know what you mean about $ being tight for gifts. I have been thinking about this a lot lately.

Last year was hard during the holidays. Having a financial strain is a pain. This year doesn't look to be improved.( We were just told that our rent is going up $300 per month starting in October.) Last year I did the baking mixes in a jar. It was great. I used our computer and printer to type the recipe. There are great sites on the web with different recipes. I chose the tastiest recipe that contained the most economical ingredients. I have quart jars so there was no extra expence there. I have craft scraps that I've accumulated over the years so I had ribbon that I tied around the scrap of Christmas fabric that I used to decorate the top of the jar. It was great. I made sure there were enough ingredients so we could have some cookies, too!

This year, I am going homemade once again. I am trying to sort and clean out all my years of accumulated stuff/junk. I've located lots of craft kits (and some are partially finished) to celebrate Christmas. Our families have been blessed that they do not "need" anything. So pretty decorations and trinkiets are appreciated in lieu of socks and undies.

I am tying up some lose ends and getting organized. When I start working on my Christmas ornaments this weekend for our exchange , I will also start working on the gifts for family and friends.

I plan to spend my money on things for my children. My boys really need clothes and a few fun things thrown in. Times like these really get those creative juices flowing!!!

Don't forget to visit your local library for books on crafts, recipes, decorations, etc.

snowmom,my boys are (1) almost 12 and (1) 16. They understand that money is tight. That is good but on the other hand if they were younger, the gifts would be less expensive! hehehe It's hard to go to the Dollar General Store or Walmart and buy a $5 toy and they be content. They like music, video games, etc. I like to get them books since I'm an advocate for reading. As they have gotten older, they have become very picky about their clothes. Not necessarily about name brand but colors and materials. I can't imagine having daughters would be any different! Boys are just as picky!

Gift giving just takes advanced planning, I think. Don't you?

Momma, Check the video rental stores for used video games. Cappy never buys new games when he can get good used copies for 5 to 10 dollars instead of 40 or 50 dollars. We are always checking Blockbuster and Video Kings in the area and have gotten alot of great games for really cheap.

Reci's right! One of the gifts that I want to give is a "night at home" basket to my sister in law....she is single, an likes spending a lot of time in front of the tv. I'm going to include a couple of jars (to make hot cocoa and cookies), a few other small things, and a coupon that my hubby found on the back of his cereal box for a free rented movie at Hollywood....if I were to buy, though, they sell previously viewed DVD's and videos at 2 for $20 (DVD's)....my MIL collects DVD's....she collects a lot of things, actually....so I may get her something like that for Christmas....we'll see....but I think we're all on the right track!

Socks and small stuff? I wish that's what was expected of us! They expect bigger and nicer things