MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

yummy recipes to share?

I check this section everyday and no one is posting here. I thought I'd kick us off with an idea. This time of year is tradionally thought of as the time for cooking and baking special dishes and desserts. How about everyone sharing their favorite recipes? I'll share as many as possible. How about you?

This is my adaptation of a recipe on the Minute Rice box. It'a a stove-top version that takes very little time. I originally posted it in 'Are You Really Ready?', under this week's $5.00 prep plan.

It doesn't really qualify as a Holiday type of meal, unless you make it after a long day of shopping or other stress related activities. It comes together very quickly, it tastes great, it's filling, and it's cheap! It's also much healthier than fast food. You can have this entire meal on the table in about 30 minutes.

Stove-Top Chicken Casserole

1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in small cubes

1/2 onion, minced

1 can mushrooms, drained- save liquid*

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 can whole kernel corn, drained-save liquid *

2 cups frozen broccoli

1 1/2 cups instant rice

garlic powder

black pepper

salt

Tabasco

*saved drained liquids in 4 cup capacity measuring cup. Add hot water to make a total of 2 cups liquid.

Saute chicken and onions in a small amount of oil- 2 to 3 teaspoons- until chicken is completely opaque and onions are translucent. Sprinkle with garlic powder and pepper to taste. Add mushrooms and continue sauteing until chicken starts to brown. Add cream of chicken soup, stir until smooth. Add liquids and mix in thoroughly. Bring to boil. Add broccoli and corn, bring back to boil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in rice, 2 or 3 dashes of Tabasco, and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt- (to taste), turn off heat and cover. Let stand about 10 minutes. Stir and serve with garlic toast and sliced tomatoes. Makes about 4 servings.