MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Have any of you ever joined OA?

Guest Guest

I have heard over the years that it is a very good program. I read up on it and I was wondering what input you guys can give. Have any of you ever or are involved with OA?

------------------

suzzee3.jpg

Ginger and Snowmom,

The program is OvereatersAnonymous. (OA)

The reason I'm asking is because a new group is starting out here where I live. I saw an ad about it in the paper and I called the lady who is starting it. She said she has been involved in OA for 13 yrs now. She has kept off 83 lbs for over 13 yrs. Then a friend of mine from Cinti said that's how she kept off her weight loss of 80 lbs for 6yrs. I didn't know she was involved in it. I decided to research it because I need some support so much. Since I've moved to the country it has taken a toll on me of not having friends like I did in the city. I have friends out here but we all live so far from eachother it would take 20 minutes driving just to meet somewhere to walk. When I lived in Cincinnati, every morning @ 5:30 AM I would meet my neighbor and we would walk 21/2 miles everyday and I really miss that! I liked what I read about OA so I'm going to go this meeting Tuesday to check it out. Here is the link about OA incase you want more information about it.

http://www.overeatersanonymous.org/

------------------

suzzee3.jpg

Hi Suzee, I've never heard of OA until now. Why not give it a try if you're interested. There's nothing to lose but maybe some pounds and wouldn't that be the coolest? smile.gif

Let us know how it goes. We're all interested in anything that might work.

------------------

dee.jpg

My best friend was a member. I know here in the local chapter they had a pot of money. Each one chipped in a buck a week and whoever lost the most weight the past week got all the money. My friend just loved going. I went once but I never did join. At the meeting I attended they focused more on personal problems than they did diet plans. They were VERY good in NOT making anyone feel bad about themselves. Very positive attitudes even for those who weren't losing weight.

Thanks for the encouragement Dee. I'm going to go and I will report back on everything! smile.gif You guys know me by now! LOL And you are right...What do we have to lose but some lbs....

I'm going to take my daughter with me as well. She is young but I see the same eating patterns that I have and I'm afraid if I don't help her now, she is in for a battle when she is older. Tell you more about that later too.

Momo,

When I posted this I saw your reply which wasn't there when I read Dee's..SO I thought, I'm going to edit this and say THANKS for your reply, and also to say HI I sure have missed seeing you! You know when I think about it, I guess we beat ourselves up enough over it so that's a good thing that they don't want you to feel bad about it. Only a few more days until Tues! Thanks Again! smile.gif

------------------

suzzee3.jpg

[This message has been edited by suzzee (edited November 16, 2002).]

OA sounds interesting, but I don't think there is anything like that around here. There are 'Weight Watchers' and another group called, 'Tops', or they use to be in town. I have never gone to any group thing like that. Many years ago some family and friends started a group but of course that fell apart. Several of them have died and then some of us ended up having things that kept us from getting together.

We are all waiting to hear how the meeting went Suzzee. smile.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif