MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hoosier

There is no metal plate on mine to tell of it's name, or place of origin. On the inside doors there are some charts are far as roasting times, there's a spring to hold a cookbook. In the windows at the top of the doors there a little teapots.. There is a flour bin. It has the sliding door that goes up and down. I assume it's a bread box type thing. And a small metal shelf I am assuming that spices go there. Not much else could fit there. Does this sound like any of yours?

I'm not sure what makes a cupboard a Hoosier but it sounds like what my elderly aunts had in their kitchen. It was a wall unit of cupboards. On the end was a large cupboard above with several shelves and another below for things like pots and pans. The upper shelf was where they kept their oatmeal in a jar, raisins in a jar, brown sugar in a jar and various and sundry basics. Oh - also salt in a jar. Toward the center of the unit were two bins for flour and sugar and above that were glass cupboards for their dishes. Then some drawers for pots and pans, utensils and at the very end was a cupboard they kept their mop, broom, a bag with odd things like beeswax, a floor polisher. There was also a breadboard in the middle. Also a countertop in black linoleum. Under the glass cupboards was a little shelf for spices. My aunt was a marvelous cook and I learned a lot of great things from her.

Yes!! That's a nice one! Is it yours?

Mine's not so fancy. The bin is gone (if it had one), cupboard doors are plain wood, and it's 2/3 the size of that one. You'd have to lop off one third on the left side.

The middle section is open, with a little shelf off to the right, and I keep some of my taller cookbooks on the left.

Mine looks similar to that one. Only that one has more glass on it. I have one more of the drawers that run up and down and my other drawers above them aren't as big as those. plus I have 2 really small drawers just underneath of the doors where the flour bin is. On the other side is wire cooling racks. The racks in the bottom also are wire. And the very bottom is a wooden shelf that can be pulled out also! Mine was given to us by Mike's family as an inheritance from his Grandma!

My Aunt's was built in and much longer than that (Pullman type kitchen) and with a lot more space. So I'm thinking it was newer than the one shown but with the same kind of ideas. I remember those great big flour and sugar bins. Across the room from that unit was the stove and a enamel or porcelain type sink and cabinets. Wow, could you pinch your fingers on those drawers if you closed them wrong!

• 1 month later...