MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning salsa!

I canned salsa last year from a recipe in the ball recipe book. The salsa had more of a sweet flavor. I didn't care for it too much. Does anyone have a good recipe for canning salsa that would make the salsa more like the store bought? We prefer Medium!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on a mission to find you a recipe, but my salsa making friends say "save it? why not eat it nowwwwww?"

Everything I encounter is for immediate party use...

Just a note to let you know your not being ignored....

warm hugs,

Cookie

clueless but on a mission...LOL

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

Guest Guest

I tried a number of times to can good salsa and finally gave up and now I use Mrs. Wages. It comes in mild, medium and hot. I use mild. It has everything in the package but the tomatoes and the vinegar. We really like it and what I bought the other day was 3 packages for $5.00. It says on the back that a package makes 5 pints.

I hope you find a good recipe but if not you might give Mrs. Wages a try.

Good luck!

------------------

dee.jpg

Guest Guest

topsecretrecipes.com or kopycatrecipes.com

not I didn't make them a link cause I am doing this from memory....scary! very scary!

They will have store bought recipes there.

Raises hand...I love salsa! sweet, hot, medium, mild...just salsa!

If it were in my hands... (hint, hint) I would add either dried chilis or seeds and let it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of days...to spice it up a bit!

I love the *hint hint*. LOL

Also, the thing I love about salsa is it's actually not very fattening, can liven up food when your trying to *deprocess* your diet (meaning less processed foods) and is just darn right delicious. smile.gif

P.S. a friend told me tomato plants do well on a balcony, so when you snag a good recipe, let *moi* know,girlfriend, pretty please? This means your city pal is going to attempt a mini-garden and maybe getting *brave* and try some preserving and such.

your rubbing off on me. wink.gif

Cookie

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

Guest Guest

cookie,

do ya think Deblyn got the hint? ROFL!

So you are going to try your hand at tomatos eh? They are easy to grow in containers! They do need to be tied to a stake or a tomato cage. I have grown might fine tomatos in a 1 gallon pot but honestly a 5 gallon pot is much better and the tomato cages fit nicely in them too.

Get a 5 gallon container and a tray to go under it to catch the water. Fill the container with soil/compost/perlite and water it so that the soil compacts down. You may have to fill the container with more soil and water again. In the center of this pot take out enough soil and stick in a 1 gallon pot and pack the soil around it or even in it if you like. Be sure to put your tomato cage in the 5 gallon pot. Go buy pea seeds. and plant them all around the 1 gallon pot, 1 row. In two weeks, plant another row out a little further all around, and in 2 weeks another row all around, continue until you reach the edge of the 5 gallon containe. By now the first row should have shot up and started growing as the second row, the thrid may be peeking his little heads up smile.gif You can plant the seeds really close together! (even thought he package says so many inches apart. They will use each other to climb on)

You are growing peas! they will thrive all winter long and grow. When it gets really cold they go dormant and the outside row may freeze back but protects the next row from frost! Peas are cool weather crops and will survive with a little protection from harsh winters and will grow and provide all fall, winter, spring. Dying back in the heat of the summer. Not to the 1 gallon pot you stuck in the center...this is where you will plant your tomato in early spring. You will have to move the pea plants aside and nestle the tomato in there, but he will be protected from any surprise frost you may get and be so happy growing in all that nitregon the peas put into the soil.

What USDA planting zone are you in?

You have me very psyched for planting,

I also have two buddies who are going *help* (read: keep me from destroying everything)

USDA zone? Hmmmm I searched that but get different readings at different sites. The 30-40F zone was the most consistant? That is the coldest extreme it gets here.(If it gets 55ºhere, BREAK OUT THE PARKAS!!!)This is the sub-tropics.

Thank you for the detailed description on what to do, I'll roam Home Depot on Tuesday for seeds and essentials.(Insert Jaws theme here: Justtttt when you thought it was Safe to go back into the garden dept....)

Your enthusiastic Cookie,

Member: Chica Gun,Book and gardening club.

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

Oh, thank you-thank you-thank you!!!! smile.gif

I did like the hint**hint!! See I am kind of clueless sometimes, so any hints will help me! smile.gif

I like storebought and fresh made, but I was hoping to have a lot of tomato's off my plants this year...but haven't had any yet. I kind of got a late start planting, so I will wait and see. I figure they will be ready to pick about the same time and I didn't want to waste any so I thought I would can them.

I love salsa on baked potato's (instead of butter).

I appreciate everyone's input, and will check out the websites. smile.gif

Dee: I have never heard of the Mrs. Wages, but I am now on a mission to find it! Sounds great (and easy).

[This message has been edited by Deblyn (edited August 05, 2002).]

Yes! Miami!!!

Okay, I know we ran off with the salsa theme, consider it pre-pre-salsa ingrediant collecting!

Okay, tonight I'm off to the garden center to get supplies (insert:dramatic cresendo)

Deblyn, any "maters yet? Did you pick a salsa recipe? Am I nosey or what?

and what is a tomato cage? (Cookie envisions escapee tomatoes out of the cage and on the lam.LOL). grin.gif

Thanks so much gang

Cookie

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

Cookie:

You can be nosey anytime!!!! smile.gif

I have the first blossom on the tomato plants yesterday. Oh boy!!! I am so behind schedule. Usually we are enjoying the wonderful taste of fresh tomato's by now.

I really like Westbrook's hint. I think that I will try that with whichever recipe I find. I am still trying to find that mix though too! Hmmmmm....

The tomato cages go around the tomato plants to keep them upright. That way when the tomato's grow on them they do not fall over. The ones that I use circle around the plant. They are great!!!! smile.gif

See ya!

Dee:

Thanks for the recommendation of Mrs. Wages Salsa Mix. I just ordered some and can't wait to try it. I read several reviews of it and everyone says it is good! smile.gif Thanks again for the info!

I got hot and the other one didn't say if it was mild or medium. So, I got some of both. I figure if one is mild and the other is hot, I could mix them and make medium! smile.gif

I think if we like it, I am going to do this for some gifts around Christmas time in a basket with other homemade goodies.

I will let you know when I get it how I like it.

Yesterday I made my first batch of salsa for the year Deblyn. It is good isn't it??? grin.gif

------------------

dee.jpg

[This message has been edited by Dee (edited August 20, 2002).]

Well, I think I am going to have to buy my tomato's for the salsa. My tomato plants have many blossoms, but no little tomato's. That's what I get for planting them late in the year. The weather here is usaually about 110-112 degrees at this time of year, but it is only about 85-90 degrees this week. So, it feels more like fall. I don't know if this will last or not...but that may have slowed my tomato's, I am not sure. It's nice to not use our air conditioner though. I love to get up at 4:30 a.m. and open up the whole house and cool it down to 70. AAAhhhh!!!! That feels good! smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Deblyn, sorry I got here late. (It rains, it pours-my Beloved had he Flu over the holiday weekend.) rolleyes.gif

I have two salsa recipes that I use when I am canning, we can about 30 pints and use it in chili and taco's (in place of the water) as well as eating it fresh. They are USDA approved for water bath canning, but I'll be honest I pressure can them anyway for about 15 minutes at 10lbs pressure.

Hot Salsa-

10 cups peeled cored and chopped tomatoes

6 cups seeded and chopped chili peppers

4 cups chopped onions

1 cup vinegar

3 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Heat to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle hot into pint jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling hot water bath for 15 minutes.

Mild to medium salsa-If you use either of these modifications it's very important that you pressure can the salsa. Especially if you use the cilantro.

Same recipe as above except substitute bell peppers for some of the chili peppers. Use at least 1/2 cup of chili peppers. I also occasionally add fresh cilantro to my salsa, in which case it's very important that you chop it very small.

My beloved likes his hot, the older children like it medium and I like it mild so we have made all three kinds. I forgot to label the cans one year-it was interesting to say the least and I never forgot again.

------------------

gjwandkids.gif

Thank you Wendi! I will try that one too!

My tomato plants were useless this year. It's my fault for not planting them soon enough, then they got tomato worms and I am too chicken to pick them off. I hate bugs! smile.gif

I just wasn't on top of things this year! Oh well!

So, I guess I will go to the Farmers Market and buy some!