MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

D ~Did something new!

Guest Guest

Ten or so years ago I bought a dehydrator. One of those things I let DD talk me into from an infomercial on TV. I used it, didn't like it and put it away. When I was looking for it a few years later it was gone. I was sure I'd loaned it to someone and never gotten it back. Wellllll the other day, while cleaning out an upstairs bedroom, guess what I came across. blush.gif

I'd already made grape jelly and 2 different kinds of grape juice and wondered what the heck to do with the rest of the grapes. Raisins popped into my mind and I thought why not! Guess what, they're so cool and easy to do! smile.gif

I had gobs of grapes and put them in the dehydrator. Amazing how they shrink down to about 1/4 the original size and it looks like much less than when I started. Who cares! They are good, fun and soooo easy!

------------------

dee.jpg

I use mine to make jerky and fruit roll ups. They are both a big hit at my house. Next year I would like to branch out and try drying some vegetables and stuff. I tried peppers once but I didn't dry them long enough and they molded. (EWWWW) My son just reminded me that we did sucessfully dry his monster zuchinni last year. As soon as I get the hang of pickles I'm going to tackle dehydrating.

------------------

gjwandkids.gif

With the Beef Liver Jerky, how do you prepare the liver before you put it in the dryer? Do you dip it in anything? Grind it? Mix it? Just set it in the dryer? My two dogs sureeeeeeeee would love it and I KNOW my purse would love it too. A whole lot less expensive. Thanks.

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg