MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

One other home-canning question

Guest Guest

How long is it OK to keep home-canned items? The food looks fine and the seals on the jars are fine, but we are moving and if the home-canned things I have aren't useful any longer, I'll toss them before we move. Thanks.

I had gotten off of the boards here for a long time, but it is nice to come back and recognize so many names! :)

I was told as long as the seal is still safe then the food is safe. But remember the older it is the less nutritional value the food has, so after a few yrs it's usually best to replace it. Canned goods from the store have expiration dates for that reason, not because they aren't safe anymore.

------------------

becca.jpg

I know almost nothing about canning....so i'm no help......i just wanted to say Hi to you......and WELCOME......(unless you've been here for a while and i'm loosing my memory~ but i'm pretty sure your a newbie~ so Welcome!)

Hope you find out about the canner and the smooth top...That would SO Bite if it wrecked the stove!...Westy had a great idea though..

debbie

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

[This message has been edited by debbielee (edited December 15, 2002).]

Thanks for the input and for the welcome! I used to frequent the boards before Y2K and for a while afterwards, but am only recently returning to my goal of simplifying our family life. It is nice to see names that I recognize from long ago. Got to get me a signature, though... smile.gif

Cool Penn92!!!!!!

Glad that your back with us!! (i joined last yr in October.....not leavin)

Good luck getting a signature.....there's a long line.....(do you think MM will see this....she may yell at me for saying that)

Anyhew.....if you had a siggie before.....go to the Signature forum....and maybe Lois can find it for you....she's gooooooood! (it wouldn't hurt to put in your request while your there)

debbie

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg