MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

CR ~Grape juice

Guest Guest

Last August I made grape juice from a recipe in the Ball Blue Book. It called for washed grapes, sugar and boiling water. It was to sit for 6-8 weeks (I think) before serving. I forgot about it until last night when I took a quart jar and put in the refrigerator to cool for breakfast this morning. Wow, was it ever good. I'll make lots more of it next year. It's so simple!

------------------

dee.jpg

Dee - any chance of posting the instructions here? I haven't got a copy of the Blue Ball Book yet. I hope to get one soon, but would like to see this in the meantime. I planted out a grapevine in our garden, and am the eternal optimist! Mind you in this weather it may have just curled up its toes and shuffled off the mortal coil along with several other choice specimens!! Thanks.

------------------

lowlander.jpg

Sorry Lowlander, I missed your question somehow.

We planted our grapes in 99 and just last year got our first crop. We'd never pruned them like you're supposed to until last Feb. Then DH and I got busy and did a big job of pruning and we had a crop we couldn't believe last summer. So, if you haven't pruned them you may want to.

Here's what I do.

Wash and stem grapes.

1 1/2 cups grapes into a hot quart jar.

1/2 cup sugar on top of grapes

Fill the jar with boiling water leaving 1/4-1/2 inches headspace. Put on sterilized lids and then rings. Boil 15 mins. in hot water bath.

Let sit 8 weeks before serving.

Our grapes are called Canadice and are not a real flavorful grape so if yours are you might only want 1 cup of grapes per quart jar.

------------------

dee.jpg