MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chinese food recipes

My mother died in Febuary and I just borrowed some cook books from my brother to copy some recipes. I found " The Art of Chinese Cooking" by the Benedictine Sisters of Peking. They started a cooking school in Japan after the war kept pushing them further out of China. They published this book in 1956 and my dad, who was in the Army bought it for my mom in Korea in 1957. There are some wonderful recipes and even hand drawn pictures on how to roll spring rolls and wan tons. I've tried to figure out how to paste the whole page here but don't know how. If anyone can help I will do so. I've saved them all as jpg files on my computer. But here are some recipes you might like.

Shrimp Toast- Orininall called Shrimp on Toast

Chop very fine 1 lb uncooked shrimp and 4 T onion; season with 1/2 T salt and a dash of pepper. Add 1 unbeaten egg white and 1 T. cornstarch. Mix well. Spread on thin squares of bread and fry in deep oil until golden brown. Serve hot. Cut very small for hors d'oeuvres. Serves 4 to 6.

Chinese Fried Rice

Heat pan, add 2 T. oil, and fry 2 C. onions, coarsly chopped, until brown. Add 2 C. cold, cooked rice and saute'. Add a mixture of 2 eggs, stirred slightly, 1 T. soy sauce, and 1/2 tsp. salt(may be made in advance to this point and fried in a small amount of oil just before serving); saute until done. For variety add 2 C chopped cooked meat (bacon, ham, shrimp, left-overs) or green peppers, chopped or peanuts, shelled and roasted. Heat throughly. Serves 4 to 6. Note:The book says American soy sauce is saltier than either the Chinese Chiang yu or the Japanese shoyu, if you can't get the Japanese or Chinese variety, use only a few drops of the American brand and taste often, it is much more concentrated and saltier than the oriental brands.

If you want more let me know and will copy as many as wanted. If you have a recipe you want , just ask, if it's in this book will post it.

now if you want to talk about middle eastern food... mmmmmmmmm!!! Chinese is ok, Japanese is fine...but middle eastern food is more to my liking!

Christmas Eve dinner... Goat Saag, Gobi Aloo, Nan, Rice and Samosa.

Karen,

here is a site that has several wonderful ethnic recipes... take your pick!

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/ethnic/

I have to get my Christmas dinner recipes out and do some shopping myself.

Here is page 1 and page 2 links. Page 1 has some information about herbs and spices.

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/ethni...ian-coll-1.html

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/ethni...ian-coll-2.html

• 4 weeks later...