MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Calling all dog lovers, tell us about your dogs.

Guest Guest

All but one of our dogs are new, had to start doing something about the coyotes dinner party. One dog is a 14 year old Springer Spaniel, he was my pound puppy and faithful companion but now he is happily retired trying to still do his job but needs all the new dogs to understand their roles here and let him retire and relax in his old age.

All the other dogs here are new. A 4 1/2 year old Golden Retriever mix (the dog pound GAVE her to us because they knew we would give her a good farm home and she was experiencing shelter shock and needed to be removed from the shelter) that wont take no garbage off the other big dog but is as gentle as can be with the puppies.

A two year old Black Lab, Bull Dog mix that has appointed himself as official bone guarder. He waits until all the other dogs abandon their treats/bones and goes around eating them, then lays by his bone and guards it all day. He can't eat it because it is the last one and then there would be nothing to guard and lord over the other dogs. He also loves his people and gets excited when they come home and is our official greeter.

Then there is our Aussie mixes (Miniature Australian Shepherds) They may be little but they are true Aussies. We have a 8 month female, and two 2 month puppies, one male and one female.The female puppy is definitely going to go far here, she is at our side learning everything and she started guarding and trying to protect us at age 5 weeks! It was so cute watching this tiny puppy run up to visitors and bark her head off at them as to say these are my people and you will not harm them. We had her sister with her but after 3 weeks of a family begging us for a puppy we sold her for $150! We have had many beg us to sell the last young pup we had (she is blue with black spots) and when we said no they asked us to breed her and sell them a puppy. So a couple weeks after we sold the first puppy we was told of another miniature female puppy and she was offered to us. We figured at the time that we would sell her too, but when my daughter went to put this pure black puppy in the van she had it by it's front legs with the rest of it's body hanging down and belly facing me. The female we was offered turned out to be a boy! We was all excited because Miniature Aussies are very rare and we had been searching for a boy that wasn't a brother. Now we can breed him to the other two and sell the puppies next summer. The male puppy is the same age as the female pup but he has been here only a week and is just now starting to come out of his shell and follow us around so we think he will also be a livestock guarder.

The 8 month old puppy is the older sister to the 2 month old puppy and she is a bit hyper where the two young puppies are really laid back and show lots of promise. But she also has showed lots of promise as our protector. She may be little but I would not want to mess with her if she felt she needed to protect her family. T

he 8 month old was also a rescue dog, she was given to us by a family that rescued her from an abusive home. The shelter told them about her and where to find her when they was looking for a puppy. The shelter didn't have enough room to take all the dogs from the people so they sent people to the home where the puppies was and told them they could take what they wanted because they could not refuse. Then a month later those people gave her to us when they saw our ad stating we wanted a good dog for our farm. We loved her so much we went back and asked them where the other puppies was so we could get her a sister hopefully. We went to the house where the puppies were born and all the puppies were gone. But they told us there was going to be another litter born soon.

We went back a month later and there was 4 puppies. They were 4 weeks old and Mom was already weaning them and this family was letting them go to new homes but had never taught them how to eat dog food! She had two puppies given away already and although I didn't really want 2 puppies I surely wasn't going to leave any behind, so I took the remaining two and taught them how to eat and not need Mama anymore. As I mentioned earlier I sold the one.

So now we are going to be raising and selling Miniature Australian Shepherds (mixed with blue healer) next summer. But they will only be allowed to have one litter, we will not have a puppy mill here.

We don't sound like we love our animals do we? All the dogs love to go for a ride, can you imagine the comments we get from people when we pull into Wal-Mart's's or some other place with a pickup full of dogs?

Snicker, snicker

Hill

I bought my son a Chinese Pug a few years ago and I don't ever think I've ever met a dog with as much personality as she does...

She's like a baby...the children hold her in their arms like you would a newborn and she is content...when they go swimming in the swimming pool she goes nuts and has to go in the pool too. Her favorite thing to do in the pool is stand on a surfboard as they pull her around.

Her days rise and set around the children and I've never witnessed such apparent devotion like she has for them.

I don't ever think I'd ever be able to duplicate her.

*smile*

------------------

d5.jpg

Oh I just love to talk about my "babies."

Holly was the first puppy we got. She was 6 weeks old...she turns 4 in October. She is part German Shepherd and part black lab. She has lots and lots of energy. She races along the fence with the dog next door.....and always beats him I might add. She loves to play ball, chew things, and most importantly thinks all company is coming to visit her. When we let her in the house at night she runs to our bedroom, jumps on the bed and lays down with her head on the pillow. She thinks if she lays quietly we won't kick her out into the garage for the night. It doesn't work smile.gif

Jacob is our sweet dog. We adopted him when he was 9 months old. He is part hound and part lab. He is a mama's boy! He also loves company. He is allergic to corn and so he gets ear infections if we accidently feed him the wrong treat. He is so easy going and when he is in the house he stays right by mama's side! He would protect me from anyone.

The last dog we have is Rascal. She was my parents dog, and when my mom passed away in March we had to get rid of their three dogs. My Grandma took one, my cousin took one and we took Rascal. She is so precious! She is 8 years old next month. My parents adopted her from the shelter when she was one. They wanted an older dog so that they didn't have to deal with the puppy stage. The only problem....she was pregnant (and they didn't know it) and she had 10 puppies! Oh boy! She was a wonderful mother to her puppies and is very protective. She sleeps by my side of the bed until I go to sleep at night. She usually sleep by the door. She loves kids and my husband gets jealous because she seems to favor me. My dad just said that she is so bonded to me that when I left her one day this past week to run a quick errand, she wouldn't have a thing to do with him (even though he had food) and waited at the door for me. She guards food like crazy and has had a few fights with Holly over it.

We have a 3 dog limit in our city....which is good or I would adopt every dog I see! smile.gif

Currently I have 3 dogs that have me well trained...they bark and I Come!

scratches head and shrugs - what did I do wrong? could it be the dogs are smarter then me? naw..can't be! can it?

Interesting that there are only 4 dog lovers here.

I have 3 Anatolian Shepherd Dogs. I have them for guarding livestock as well as the farm. Since Sneaky Dogs arrival I haven't lost one chicken to raccoons and no bee hives to bears! But I need more then raccoon patrol, I need the livestock to be protected from the wandering Mountain Lion in the area. With the addition of Princess BarksAllot and Princess BarksEvenMore the Mountain Lion's presence has moved on.

I love my dogs!

I've posted about my dogs, past and present, in the last few weeks. They are my children, and I love them as such. The little one, Missy, 3 1/2, is half Sheltie and half Red Heeler. She is deaf, and was badly abused before we got her. She is so attached to me that I know she would protect me from anyone. Even when dh gives me a backrub, she is there, anxiously bumping his hands with her nose, like she is saying, "I love you, and I won't hurt you, but I don't like what you are doing to Mama." When I do the same to him, she is unconcerned.....lol.

Thor, our GS is almost 2, and weighs 3 times what Missy does, but Missy is boss. Thor is also Missy's hearing companion, and fetches her on command.

A funny thing happened earlier this week. 2 men from the phone company came to install a second line, and I let Thor in, as he LOVES people, and the worst he would do is lick someone to death. When one of the men saw him, I swear, he almost crapped his pants. This dog is big and looks dangerous, but he's such a pussy cat. The little dog, Missy, all 30 pounds of her, looks so sweet and innocent, but she's a snapper if she doesnt know someone. Her abuse memories run deep.

Anyway, I love both of my babies...and I seem to relate to animals, especially horses and dogs, better than I do to people. Every dog I've ever had has been a homeless/rescue dog, and as much as I'd like to have had a puppy from a few, especially Jessie, I have my pups spayed or neutered, so I don't take a home away from a homeless animal.

And I wish the networks would quit showing the pics of Al Quaida, nerve gassing puppies to death...breaks my heart, and makes me so sick.

That is a cute picture.

We have 2 dogs, part German Shepherd and part Spits. We have had them for almost 11 years now. Being the large dogs that they are, we are so thankful for them being with us yet.

One is a male and one is a female. The male, Prince, has had a lot of medical problems and is blind in one eye and has been getting worse vision in the other eye. He still loves to play and enjoyed it when the grandsons were here to through the ball for him to get.

Queen, on the other hand is very much the lady. She hasn't chased the ball since she was about 4 years old. She has allergies and we have to get medication for that.

They both love all the attention they can get.

I am sure they have kept people from coming to our house with their bark. smile.gif I think that is a real good thing at times. smile.gif

I do know that some of the UPS drivers have been a bit afraid of them even though they are in a fenced in yard. Think it is because they are so big and bark a lot. smile.gif

Both dogs want to be where I am and follow me from room to room. Right now they are sleeping within 6 feet of me. smile.gif

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Right now we have the most lovable, laidback, sweetheart Yorkshire Terrier. He is not a yapper as he should be according to his breed. He won't bark unless someone claps in his face. I miss the barking of protective dogs, but now he is our only dog. He is only 1.5 years old but thinks he is either a cat or ragdoll because he sleeps a lot - especially on laps. At night he is in our bed and does his job well as a foot warmer. Once dh suggested we get a dog bed. I said ok only if he could find one big enough for himself. smile.gif I dream someday of having a lot of land and a few more dogs - big ones too!

I have a Miniature schnauzer named Stevie Rae Blue. She is the light of our lives(in this world). She was very abused when we got her and non responsive but we knew if we didn't buy her she would die. After $300 in vet bills she recovered physically and bonded with me. My husband can't even kiss me without her trying to push him away. She's not real good with people yet but we keep trying to socialize her. She will come with us on our trip of course. She stand on my husbands chest and tries to stick her nose in his mouth to see what he's had. My husband has long hair and she stands on the back seat and pulls it while he drives (looks funny from the next car). Maybe we'll meet up with some of you as we travel.

Miki

I have a shihtzu pup name Samuel Clemmons aka Mark Twain ( on his papers)and he is a lovable, Snugglin, stubborn, kissy pup who thinks he is a person. One of these days I expect for him to talk back to me when I am speaking to him. Of course we treat him as a human..LOL,