MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

growing feverfew?

ToAutumn

Feverfew

Feverfew is a delightful herb part of the chrysanthemum family, hosting very small white daisy like flowers atop fern/feathery like foliage. Grows in all zones and can be grown in containers.

Feverfew is an anti-inflammatory. Chew 3 leaves 2 times a day, but be forwarned...they taste awful. Feverfew is great for those seeking alternative medicines for Migraine Headaches, Allergies and Arthritis including rheumatoid Arthritis and Fibromyalgia also known as FMS. I did mention that the leaves tasted really awful didn't I? Please do a search on the net to gather all the information you can concerning this wonderful little plant. Capsules can be purchased at any store that sell herbs, I did mention that the leaves taste really awful..right? this plant requires no special care or watering. If the plants leaves look droopy, give it a drink! 3 plants will provide you with more herb then a person will need. Self seeds .... everywhere! easy to eradicate or transplant, cuttings can also be taken from the heel of the plant or divided by root division. Plant gets about 24 inches tall and about 18 inches wide.

If you don't have migranes, arthritis or other inflammatory problems, find a place in a corner out of the way to plant feverfew, it also makes a nice cutting flower.

I just went out and gathered a few flower heads from a plant that has gone to seed. I will be happy to send seeds. PM me you address.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I am new here. I have grown feverfew for the first time this year, and it got huge! I bought a 2" potted plant at our local DIY, and in no time was making cuttings for a friend who suffers from migraines. I advised her that although some may chew the leaves, they are rather destructive to delicate mucous membrane tissue and can cause blistering, PLUS***did you read above that they taste really bad***??? LOL. They do. So I just had her steep the leaves for 10 minutes (covered) and you know what? Her migraine was nipped in the bud, so to speak! I am fortunate not to suffer as so many do from them, so I had to take her word for it, she now keeps dried cuttings at work and home just for these emergencies! I went out last night to deadhead the bush and found that it had begun a second growth/bloom cycle in the centre of the plant! I am thrilled, now I will have a winter supply! Hope this info helps! Cheers! Sharon

Tincture is made by adding ¼ lb. Of dried herb to a quart jar then pouring 2 cups of 50% (100 proof) alcohol over it. Shake daily for 2 weeks, then strain and store in the jar in a dark place.

It is a way of keeping the natural ingredients in herbs fresh and viable for a long period of time.

Most herbs lose their strength with in a year of harvest.

There is an article here on preparation and storage.:

http://www.kcweb.com/herb/tincture.htm

Archived