MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Baking Bread w/o electric

Biscuits can be baked in a dutch oven. I take an old, round baking pan and turn it upside down in the dutch oven then set another round pan of biscuits on top of that. The upside down pan keeps the bottoms of the biscuits from cooking too fast. This works in a fireplace or over an open fire. You put the dutch oven over a bed of coals and put coals on top of the dutch oven lid. Let it set in the coals for about 10 minutes to pre-heat before you put in your biscuits. If you have an oven thermometer, you can check the temperature. It takes a bit of practice, but dutch oven biscuits are delicious. You can also get little ovens that go on top of a regular wood stove. They are like a little metal box with a door. At least I think they are still available.

As for bigger baking (yeast bread, etc.) I plan to build a brick, wood-fired oven.

You can also do what the pioneers did "on the move".

Make little cakes by the fire. Scrape coals out a bit and fry bits of dough like pancakes.

Cornbread prepared like this was called "Johnny cake" (journey cake), I believe.

You can wrap dough around green sticks (or stainless hot dog sticks) and hold them over the fire.

We are going to build a brick oven. It is hard to get

plans, let me tell you!

I finally found a good book. It's called Your Brick

Oven Building it & Baking In It by Russell Jeavons.

My Dad gave me a pizza peel.

So, now I have the book and a peel, just no oven.

We bought a gas stove in 1999 and have never had to use it, so, that would be one thing we could use and then our gas grill could be another way to cook.

I am more concerned about heating the house, water and such. Everything here is run by electricity.

There is also a Campstove Oven from Coleman. You

use on one of the larger double burner camping stoves.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.a...amp;SP=&v=1

Sorry about the link. It's a fishing link, but it

shows you good pictures of it. I got mine from Walmart

for around $20. I have never used it yet. As soon as

I get my woodstove installed I plan on experimenting

with it.

Does anyone have one of these?

Archived