MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What exactly are these?

Guest Guest

Hi:

I've not asked this before since it sounds really dumb, i suppose, but below is a recipe for chutney and to be honest, though I've heard of chutney, I've no idea what it is. I looked it up in the online dictionary but all it said is that it is a relish. I assume you can use different veggies and maybe fruits for this...but what makes chutney chutney? And how do you eat it? It says it is a relish, so do you just have a bit on the side like you do pickles or olives? Serve it with bread? As a side dish?

Also, as long as I'm revealing my ignorance, what exactly is marmalade? I always read about it in English mysteries but I don't think it is eaten much in my neck of the woods. I assume is something like jelly, jam or preserves.

Which leads to my final (I think) stupid question...I know the difference between preserves and jelly (and do I ever prefer preserves!lol) but jam seems to be halfway between, maybe? What is the difference?

I have never done any canning but plan to when my berries ripen this year. Anyone have recommendations on the best book on the subject for me to buy? Winter is the best time for me to prepare for my jouney to becoming more self-sufficient come spring.

This one is right up my street! I make a lot of all these things, so will try and answer your questions. Here we go.

Chutney - this originated in India from the days of the Raj, and is indeed a condiment. It cooks fruit and or vegetables in vinegar and sugar to a thick consistency which is then put into jars. It takes about three months to mellow before eating. Usually included is some king of dried fruit, eg raisins, sultanas, etc and onions. Also spices of whatever variety takes your fancy. Chutney is usually made in the autumn, to use windfall and other spare apples, hedgerow fruit, autumn veg, etc, when they are bountiful and/or cheap to buy. I make the following: green tomato chutney, rhubarb, apple, hedgerow, runner bean, marrow, plum, plum and apple and various others. An extra kick can be added by the judicious use of chilli powder, but that is not traditional in England! It is eaten on the side of the plate, and is especially good with strong cheese, or in sandwiches. I sometimes add cider or stout to give it an extra filip, but that's just my preference. It keeps for several years if sealed properly, and definitely improves with age.

Marmalade - this is a type of ornage jam. It is shreds of citrus peel and flesh cooked in water and sugar. The peel can be thin, or chunky, or the peel removed altogether and a jelly achieved. It is traditionally made in January in England when the bitter Seville oranges from Spain are available; You can make enough for the whole year(it keeps well) or the oranges can be frozen for making later in the year. Where I come from (Scotland) it is traditional to add whisky to it, and the marmalade-making centre was Dundee. It is eaten on hot toast for breakfast, but is also good in marmalade cale.

Jam - jam is the term in English for what you call jelly. It is fruit cooked with sugar to setting point then put into jars. We do make jellies, which is fruit cooked in sugar as for jam, then strained through a jelly bag overnight so that you have a quantity of clear liquid to which is added sugar, then boiled to a set and put in jars. Just to confuse the issue, we also have jelly as a pudding - fruit juice or similare set with gelatine, eaten with ice-dream. Jelly we make is usually apple-based, using windfall apples, or crab apples, often flavoured with herbs, eg mint, rosemary, etc.

Hope this answers your questions! Funnily enought, I am making lemon marmalade today, and want to try carrot marmalade; this was popular during WW2, when oranges were unobtainable. Good luck with all you preparations for winter and the following year. I love to hear about everyone's plans as they are all different.

Please enlighten the Scotswoman as to what the Blue Ball book is! A lot of the information in American books is not of use here in the UK as different methods are used, but I am very fond of American pickle and preserve recipes. One I would like to try in the future, mainly out of curiosity, is pickled water melon rind. Does anyone do this? What does it taste like? Is it worth doing? Questions, questions.

Lowie.....i have a question for you.....is your lemon marmalade hard to make?

Because i recently bought supplies to start canning with the water method and i've never ever done it before....and i managed to miss the major fruit season....but i think i could make the lemon thingie.....i'll be scared but i'll give it a go......

Also....i have frozen blueberries from last year.....can i do any jam with those....seeing they are old and frozen????

And the Blue book is like a canner's bible....with instructions and recipes.

Thanks Lot's,

deb

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcq4dr9AXqlYY9DM

Yum I love chutney smile.gif It is very good used as a glaze brushed over chicken! My favorite store brand is Major Grey's Mango Chutney. It is a bit spicy.

The Blue Ball Book is considered the authority here on how to can safely lowlander. It is an essential must have in my opinion for every canner! They usually sell them in the same section as the jars.

I have never tried to make marmalade, but my grandmother used to make candied orange peel that was incredible. I wish I'd written down how to make it!

------------------

becca.jpg

[This message has been edited by Becca Anne (edited October 09, 2002).]

hey deb...you didn't miss all the good fruit...i just did my grapes and pears a week ago...you can still probably get both at the farmers markets...i also got a bin of peaches that i just did...and don't forget that apple season is starting...i will be canning them in a few weeks...peg

------------------

edandpeg.gif

I didn't Peg? Way cool!! Guess i best go shopping...do you have a preference of what type of grapes....or does it matter? Do i hafta buy anything special to make grape stuff?

I hadn't thought of canning apples...derrrrrr........how do you do yours?

xoxo

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcq4dr9AXqlYY9DM

well...i used concord grapes this year because that is what the woman at work gave me...the ball book has recipes for both...but i do love concord....the jam recipe in the ball book just uses sugar and pectin...i used fruit gell that i got at walmart...make sure you have enough sugar...jellies and jams call for alot of it..check the recipe before you start...don't forget the farmers markets...the ma gov page has a link to the times and places of all of the ones in ma...i usually make apple butter, but this year i think i might try spiced apples and preserves also,...have fun and don't forget to listen for the "POP"...peg

Preserving (Jams* chutneys* pickles* Jellies*) is one of the oldest and most satisfying forms of cooking. For hundreds of years, cooks have enjoyed preparing their bounty of summer fuit and vegetables in a variety of ways in order to prepare delicious meals during less plentiful days of winter.

Until partway through th 20th century, a country household aimed to be totally self-suffient, drying fruit, vegetables and herbs, preparing pickles, chutneys and sauces and making jams. Candying fruit, making liqueurs or bottling fruit in alcohol were activities of more leisured wives who could afford time and a little extra money for preserving their fruits.

I say go for it! All you need is few basic utensils, ingredients, and packaging plus getting a hold of your local co-op extension in your area for more beneficial info.

You can make catsup out of frozen bananas!

Kathy

"Its not what I'm doing, its what I ain't doing"