MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Common Childhoood diseases

logcabinmama

At the end of the last school year, my DD got chicken pox, and so did DH (!), at 30 yo, it was not fun for him. DS didn't get a single one though!!! Tea tree oil helped with their itching.

Also, there's pink eye to think about and lice! Ok, maybe lice isn't a disease, but it comes with the school year, and I hate them, I always put tea tree oil in my shampoo (if I get lice I'm in trouble, my hair goes to about the middle of my butt pocket!)

Chicken Pox can be a very serious illness for teens and adults. It is recommended everyone be immunized against it to prevent adults from being infected. If you haven't had chicken pox or aren't sure if you have had it you can ask your Dr. to run a blood test to see if you have anitbodies for it. If you dont' you should seriously consider having the vaccination for it.

Of course now it's a required vaccine in many places, so hopefully we will see it eradicated!

Be sure that if you choose to have your children vaccinated against Chicken Pox, that you tell them (and you watch the science news) to see if the vaccine protects past age 20. It's still new enough that the medical community isn't sure about how long it lasts.

There's a strong possibility that we may see a rash of Chicken Pox (pun intended...

I spoke with my Dr about the booster issue and she said in Japan they have been giving the vaccine for 20 yrs and no booster appeared to be needed. If you aren't sure, then just get another vaccination later as a booster. As always talk to your Dr about health issues like this if you have any doubts or questions.

Archived