MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Post your favorite Christmas Cookie Recipe!

I usually start baking my Christmas Cookies a few weeks before Thanksgiving. I make them and freeze them in November so I don't have alot of baking to do in December which gives me more time to shop or relax. I also put cookies in tins and keep them in a root cellar I have in the basement, actually it was an empty room between the basement and old coal storage room. Its very cool there and the cookies don't spoil at all.

Good luck reci. I already tried this with Thanksgiving recipes, but no one was interested. Anyway, I posted two of my favorite holiday cookies under the party recipes, but here they are again.

Cheese Sables

(another make ahead, then bake the day of party)

1 1/4 C sifted all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp pepper

1 C shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese

1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 C butter

1 egg yolk, beaten

3 T. milk

coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans

In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Stir in cheeses until blended. With a pastry cutter cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle with egg yolk and iced water; toss with a fork until misture binds together. Knead dough in bowl 8-10 strokes or until smooth. Divide dough in half. Shape each piece into a 7x1 1/4" roll. Wrap separately, refrigerate at least one hour, or up to several days.

Preheat oven to 375. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Cut roll into 1/4" slices. Place slices, cut side down, about 1" apart on lined baking sheets. Brush tops with milk; sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake in preheated oven 10 to 12 min or until very lightly golden. Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire racks. Makes approx 56 pastries.

Orange Pinwheel Cookies

1 C butter, softened

3 oz cream cheese, softened

1 C sugar

1 egg

1 T fresh grated orange peel

1 tsp vanilla extract

3 1/2 C all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

Filling

1 C semisweet chocolate chips

3 oz cream cheese, softened

1/2 C confectioners sugar (I cut this to 1/4 C)

1/4 C orange juice

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar. Add egg, orange peel and vanilla. Mix well. Combine flour and salt; add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 4 hours or until firm. Meanwhile, combine all filling ingredients in a small saucepan. cook and stir over low heat until smooth; set aside to cool.

On a floured surface, divide dough in half; roll each half into a 12x10" rectangle. Spread with filling. Carefully roll up into a tight jelly roll and wrap in waxed paper. Chill overnight. Remove waxed paper and cut rolls into 1/4" slices. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375 for 8-10 min or until very lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Makes 8 dozen.