MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Star anise for use at home

ricardo

Chinese Star Anise = safe for internal use as a tea

Japanese Star Anise = poison for external use as a potporri

Make sure to use the correct one for making tea. It is

a common ingredient in chai tea.

If making the tea at home, you could add a cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Bring to a boil. Add some black or green tea (black is traditional). Cover and let steep. Sweeten and add milk after straining.

I just received the PDR for Herbal Medicines (UPS brought it about 10 min. ago!) and it says that Star Anise is a bronchial expectorant and antispasmodic for the gastrointestinal tract.

Indications and Usage:

Approved by Commission E: Loss of appetite, cough/bronchitis.

Unproven uses: catarrh of the respiratory tract & peptic discomfort.

Indian Medicine: dyspeptic complaints, flatulence, spasmodic colon pain, dysentery, facial paralysis, hemiparesis, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Dosage:

Mode of Administration: Herb, ground fresh just prior to use, and other galenic preparations for internal use.

Daily dosage: 3 gm of drug or 0.3 gm of essential oil. Single dose: 0.5 to 1 gm prepared as tea.

Storage: keep Star Anise protected from light.

Yeah, it's pricey, especially if you do what I did and have them bill you, them you pay shipping too. But I figured that some of my good textbooks cost more than that and a massage book I'd love to have is $120, so it's worth it.

It's really cool, there's an alphabetical index, therapeutic category index, indications index, homeopathic indications index, asian indications index, side effects index, drug/herb interactions guide, safety guide, manufacturers index, herb identification guide (with more than 300 color photos), herbal monographs (over 700 medicinal herbs, including trade names, description, actions, clinical trials, indications, contraindications, precaustions, adverse effects, overdosage, dosage, and iterature citations. Organized alphabetically by accepted common name, and cross-referenced by scientific name), and nutritional supplement monographs. It's 988 pages and huge, like a textbook (bigger than my Principles of Anatomy & Physiology book) This may be my new favorite herbal book. (oh, yeah, and share the info, lol)

• 10 months later...

Archived