MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

saurkraut to fight flu?

Guest Guest

I got this in an email from a friend.... I have no way of checking validity, but thought I'd toss it out for consideration/amusment however you want to interpret it:

Press Release Source: The Fremont Company

SUPERFOOD STRIKES AGAIN: Scientists Find Kimchi Sauerkraut May Cure Avian Flu

Tuesday October 18, 2:20 pm ET

A cure in a meal: U.S. Sauerkraut sales expected to skyrocket

FREMONT, Ohio--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 18, 2005-- In yet another indication that Sauerkraut is the super food of the 21st century, scientists at Seoul National University have successfully used Kimchi Sauerkraut to treat chickens infected with avian flu. Kimchi is a seasoned variety of sauerkraut that shares Lactobacillus bacteria with traditional Sauerkraut, which may be the critical element in preventing Avian Flu. Both Kimchi and traditional Sauerkraut are made by fermenting sliced cabbage, producing a high level of lactic acid.

According to an October 2005 BBC report, Kimchi was fed to 13 infected chickens and 11 of them started recovering within a week. South Korean Kimchi consumption is up as a result of this report and U.S. sales of Sauerkraut are also expected to spike up.

The October 14, 2005 issue of the Wall Street Journal cites growing U.S. concern over a potential avian flu pandemic based on the occurrence of birds found to carry the virus in Turkey, signaling the first instance of an outbreak outside of Asia. Fears of a U.S. pandemic were increased following the release of a study on the 1918-19 pandemic which originated in birds before mutating to a human strain and killing approximately 50 million people. Avian flu has been on the watch lists of the National Institute of Health and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1997, with a recent surge in activity as drug makers race to find a cure and a vaccine. According to an October 17, 2005 story on the MSNBC/Newsweek website and carried on the NBC Nightly News, "Washington was turning its attention to the threat posed by an exceptionally lethal strain of flu virus that could, in the worst case, kill as many people in a few months as AIDS has done in two decades."

The November 2005 issue of Men's Health Magazine advises constructing a pandemic kit, including nonperishable foods: "Make a few of cans of the sauerkraut; it's packed with lactic-acid bacteria, shown by Korean researchers to speed recovery of chickens infected with avian flu."

"If you look at a 19th century Old Farmer's Almanac you'll find recipes for sauerkraut to treat virtually every ailment under the sun. Now in the 21st century it's been cited as having cancer fighting abilities and may be a cure for avian flu. It's truly one of the most unassuming super foods ever created. We expect to see sales go through the roof this Fall" says Chris Smith, VP of marketing for Frank's Sauerkraut, one of the United States' leading brands of Sauerkraut.

About The Fremont Company

The Fremont Company is a 100 year old consumer food product company headquartered in Fremont, OH. The Fremont Company produces nationally distributed consumer and food service products including Franks and Snowfloss Kraut and Mississippi BBQ Sauce. The Fremont Company maintains cross promotional relationships with several major restaurant chains and is distributed in various ballparks and stadiums including Yankee Stadium. Check out other sexy and unique recipes at www.sauerkraut.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BIGfrontier for the Fremont Company

Katy Busser, 312-224-8546

kbusser@bigfrontier.org

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: The Fremont Company

Quote:
"If you look at a 19th century Old Farmer's Almanac you'll find recipes for sauerkraut to treat virtually every ailment under the sun. Now in the 21st century it's been cited as having cancer fighting abilities and may be a cure for avian flu. It's truly one of the most unassuming super foods ever created. We expect to see sales go through the roof this Fall" says Chris Smith, VP of marketing for Frank's Sauerkraut, one of the United States' leading brands of Sauerkraut.

I guess I'd better get me to Costco and buy a couple of gallon jars while they are still reasonably priced!

My grandpa is a natural health nut , and he used to make saurkraut in big jars to cure...something! I'll have to ask him what it was for. Now he's moved on to Kambucha tea.

~Jo

I have to see how many stoneware crocks we still have for making 'kraut. One time when my step-dad tried making it, it fermented and we had some really interesting stuff to throw out. Boy did that stink! My mom was about ready to kill him because he had insisted that he 'knew' how to make 'kraut better than hers.

Here's my grandpa's response about why he was making saurkraut:

"Dear Joanna,

Here is the information on the benefits of sauerkraut.Bacterial flora are responsible for providing the mucous membranes in the mouth, intestines, and genital organs with lactic acid. this protective acid coating surrounds all higher organisms (living beings). The lactic Acid fermentation prevents decay of food products in the stomach and bowels. This helps with the acid control in the stomach and the bowels. Its rich vitamin C production supports the natural resistance of the individual against infections.

Hope things are going well for you.

Love, Grandpa and Cynthia"

Now I know!

~Jo

I think Granpa was right! I did some searches and here is a couple of links and one article I found...

The first is from a Korean newspaper I think.

By Lee Hyo-sik

Staff Reporter

A local animal feed manufacturer shipped a feed additive that may be effective in treating bird flu to Indonesia last week amid growing international concern over the spread of the virus.

``A veterinarian at an Indonesian zoo asked us to send our animal feed additive, which contains the bacteria leuconostoc citreum, a type of lactobacillus found in kimchi,’’ said Lee Jong-Dae, president of Celltech International.

``We shipped some 800 kilograms of the additive last week.’’

Lee added that if it is proven effective in treating chickens, ducks and other birds infected with bird flu virus there, the company will sign formal export contracts with Indonesia and expand its export market into other Asian countries grappling with bird flu outbreaks.

``We are sure that the additive will work in treating fowls with the avian influenza as our tests have shown that local chickens that were fed the additive had a much stronger immune system against a wide array of viruses compared to ones that it was not given to,’’ he said.

Seoul National University professor Kang Sa-ouk and his research team extracted leuconostoc citreum and eight other lactobacillus from kimchi.

Professor Kang and Celltech International launched a joint project to develop anti-virus and anti-bacteria animal feed additives by using kimchi lactobacillus.

The Korean government has been on high alert over a possible spread of the bird flu here as neighboring countries such as China, Russia and Mongolia have reported outbreaks of the disease during the past few weeks.

The government plans to issue an alert against the highly contagious avian influenza tomorrow, cautioning against the arrival of migratory birds.

It will also launch a special monitoring and quarantine campaign against the bird flu from November through February, particularly in migratory sanctuaries and areas near the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ).

The bird flu, previously limited to Southeast Asia, was found among migratory birds in China, Russia and other northern Asian countries this summer.

International concern over bird flu outbreaks have increased with two cases reported in Romania and Turkey, an autumn destination for birds migrating from Asia.

Government officials are concerned that the virus could easily be transmitted to local wild birds and poultry by migratory birds from counties like Russia and Mongolia.

The possible outbreak of avian influenza is expected to deal a serious blow to local poultry farmers and exporters who are still recovering from the previous outbreaks.

Between December 2003 and March 2004, government officials were forced to destroy 5.3 million birds at 19 poultry farms around the country to prevent the virus from spreading.

The economic loss incurred was estimated to be around 1 trillion won ($970 million).

http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/nation/200...17270011950.htm

and here is another... http://english.kbs.co.kr/news/zoom/1364676_11781.html

Im going to get some kraut ...but I think my husband would probably rather die than eat it... I like it though! Kim chi takes some effort to eat larger quanities however...if you are not used to it....AM

• 3 months later...

Korean Kimchi is hot and spicy too. My sil makes it all the time and I can't get past the smell, although everyone else in my family can. She makes sauerkraut with korean cabbage (bok choi), carrots, radishes, salt and spices. The main spice being garlic. Maybe all that garlic helps keep other people away and that helps prevent spread of the disease...just kidding. I will try to get a better recipe from her this weekend, if I get to see her. One thing to remember with making your own sauerkraut is that even if the top get exposed to air, that what is underneath may be fully fermented and fine to eat. You don't need to use a crock, you can use one of those buckets that we store everything else in. Once at the level of fermentation that you prefer, you may need to can it to prevent further fermentation.

Archived