MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Christmas cake

The traditional English Christmas cake is a very rich fruit cake made with dried fruit soaked for two days in rum or brandy, nad butter, along with eggs, flour, nuts, etc. It is made several weeks before Christmas (I made mine last week), wrapped up and kept in an airtight tin. Once a week from now until Christmas it will be taken out, pricked all over with a skewer and "fed" with alcohol - rum, brandy, sherry, or whatever the cook hasn't drunk in the case of my kitchen!

Three days before Christmas day, the cake is brushed over with warmed and sieved apricot jam, and covered in a thick layer of marzipan. This is left to dry out for 24 hours. The cake is then iced with Royal Icing, made with icing sugar, egg white and lemon juice. Decorations are usually traditional - little figures, holly, etc. Last year when my two decorated the iced cake they sued every decoration in the box - 6 santas, five trees, three deer, five snowmen, two wee houses, etc etc etc. It looked really good, but was a pain to cut as I had to take off all the decorations and the icing had set rock hard! The cake usually lasts the best part of the holiday week.

------------------

lowlander.jpg

Wow....Lowie.....that sure sounds like fun to eat...very special!

Funny ...whatever the cook hasn't drunk!!

Speaking of which....do you "mix" the alcohol...use brandy one week...rum the next or keep it all the same?

Nad butter? Sued?

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

Deb - I put in whatever is around at the time. It might be rum one weel, and brandy the next. If you don't want alcohol, you don't have to do it, or can use apple or orange juice, which is nice too.

nad butter = and butter

sued = suet

Excuse the rubbishy typing, my brain moves faster than my fingers. Result = bad typing!

Stop laughing!!!!

------------------

lowlander.jpg

**trying to supress my giggles...**

lowlander, I figured you were just finishing up that wee bit 'o brandy...

grin.gif

------------------

cat.jpg

*TEENAGERS*... God's way of helping parents clear the nest.

Funny guys!!

I just figured it was Scottish/English for something ......was having trouble figuring out what a Nad butter was....i've only heard of gonads.....(don't think i wanna "go there")

Maybe someday when you have time....can ya write down the portions....ie....1 cup of flour etc.....ya never know..i might wanna start an American/English Christmas tradition.

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg