MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Are you getting your flu shot this year?

cartoongirl

My family and I have never got the annual flu shot. I have a little time to think about getting one this year...the health unit has posted flyers everywhere of when and where to get the flu shot. Are you getting yours?

I'm aware of why they are pushing for people to get vaccinated just not sure if I want to.

nope! never!

had to get it for work one year... got the flu 6 times! never again! let me have it! get it over with so my body can build up an immunity for what ever comes next.

flu shots.. yeah, yeah.. you build up an immunity which is why you take it.. but what if they give you a shot for strain 3 cause they predicted it.. and strain 1, 8, 9 are prevalent? ... you get the flu 6 times! so no, if I am going to get it, then I will get it.

Every year I got the flu and was sick in bed for 2 or 3 days. After being diagnosed with diabetes my Dr. said being high risk I need a flu shot every year. For almost 10 years now I've gotten one and never gotten the flu again....knock on wood!

My DH and I started getting the flu shots when my mother began living with us (1988 or so) also the kids - so they wouldn't bring the flu into the house. Since we've been getting the shots,no flu for us. Couldn't get it last year because of the shortage, but our youngest DD did as she has asthma. Yesterday she was suppose to get the flu mist at school. She came home and told me they wouldn't give it to her, for fear she would have an asthma attack. She told them she had just seen her allergist last week, and he was glad to hear that she would be getting it. They still wouldn't give it to her, and wouldn't give her the shot, as that was only for the adults. I was so frustrated to hear that. Thankfully my husband checked with his work, and they have enough vaccine to give her a shot on Friday along with my husband and myself. Now today DD is home sick with a headache, runny nose and nausea. Weather is very cool today, in the 40's and cloudy. Enough rambling. Very long story short, we do get the flu shots when available, and we do well with them (so far).

Yes, I definitely will get my flu shot this year. It is

highly encouraged for those who are diabetic to get flu shots

as well as a pheumonia shot.

I also read that the

present flu shot "might' help prevent the bird flu.

I wonder about that claim?

I got my shot! I really have to now that I have been diagnosed with asthma, and after the one year I felt like I needed to be hospitalized I have gotten my flu shot every year except last year. Thank goodness I didn't get the flu last year! My kids won't be getting theirs, but I might ask their Dr about the flu mist to see if it is thermerisol free.

No we dont' vaccinate. When I was a teen I got the flu shot one year and it was the sickest I had ever been. Got sick from the shot had a huge amount of arm pain, feaver and then developed the flu. Then seemed to keep comming down with it over and over that year. Besides I'm pregnate and they won't give you shots if you are.

Kim

I also got a flu shot because I am diabetic.

Before my diagnosis I got one because I worked in a medical clinic. During flu season students (many sick, some just not wanting to go to class) would be lined up out the door of the building and all up and down the stairs. In dorms "the crud" passed swiftly from person to person.

Archived