MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Popovers

I haven't figured out the posting procedure for recipes, but this one was by request. So if someone can move it or tell me how to, I'd appreciate it.

Basic Popovers

Pans should be heated 3 or 4 min to get sizzling hot before pouring in batter.

1 c all-purpose flour

1/2 t salt

1 t sugar

1 c milk

2 eggs, beaten

1 T melted butter or oil

Preheat oven to 475. Grease deep muffin pans. (Make sure you grease the cups really well.) Sift flour, measure, add salt and sugar. Resift into mixing bowl. (Heat pans now!) Combine milk, eggs, and butter or oil, add to flour mixture. Beat thoroughly with rotary beater for 1 to 2 min. Batter should be smooth. Quickly pour into hot muffin tins, filling cups half full. Bake in 475 oven 12 min, reduce heat to 350 and bake 15 more min. Two or 3 min before end of baking time, quickly pierce popovers with sharp skewer or meat fork. Makes about 10 to 12 popovers depending on cup size.

You can make Cheese Popovers by filling tins 1/4 full, sprinkling on 1 t grated cheese, add batter to fill cup 1/2 full, sprinkle with a little more cheese. Bake as above. If you add cheese, grease the cups extra well.

Quote:
Pans should be heated 3 or 4 min to get sizzling hot before pouring in batter.

I bet that was my problem! They never pop over. I'll have to try again. Thanks goatherder!
~Jo

Oh yummy, this is wonderful. When we lived up in Wisconsin many years ago our favorite restaurant served up popovers piping hot and oh my, they were the best tasting things you ever ate! Thanks a lot for this recipe as I've never made my own. They're not common in cookbooks so all I've done all these years is dream of them in my sleep! Now my dreams are about to come true!

Archived