MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gee your home smells terrific....

cartoongirl

The only new thing I've found along this line is the Febreeze air effects. Oh, and the Glade plug-ins w/fan. I use scented carpet freshener, open bowls of potpourri, potpourri/oil simmering pots, and incense.

A really quick trick for making your home smell more inviting is to put a small pot of water on the stove to simmer, and add a tablespoon of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg. It makes it smell like you've been baking all day. You can also use one of those tiny electric crockpots, made for hot dips and such.

Or if you have an electric stove and you see someone coming towards your door turn on a burner to low and sprinkle a little cinnamon directly on it. In just a few seconds, it wil start to smell very nice.

If you have scented candles just for decoration, wipe them down with a damp cloth once in a while, it will refresh the smell they give off in that area.

A couple of things I forgot about;

When I change the sheets, I sprinkle scented powder on my mattress cover before putting the sheets on. I also have matching linen sprays that I use on my comforters between changes.

Once in awhile, I spray my favorite fragrance on my pillow cases.

I use scented wax tarts - you can burn them in a tart burner with a tea light candle underneath or in one of the mini crockpots that are for potpourri -I like the crock because I can just leave it plugged up all the time and change it when the scent wears out. I love the hot apple pie or orange clove scents best.

I just bought a can of the new Febreze Apple Cinnamon Christmas scent, and it smells sooooo good. I also love scented candles but only burn them when there's no danger of me falling asleep.

For the most part I don't use anything (besides a press'n'fresh in the bathroom, but since I've been playing with cinnamon sticks for christmas ornaments, I've been enjoying the smell everytime I walk by the ones I have hanging up in the basement (for lack of a better place to put them until I decorate for Christmas). I think it was Pixie who told me a while ago that if you put a few drops of vanilla on a lightbulb, it will make the room smell nice. Once I accidently roasted some mint leaves that I was drying in the oven (forgot to take them out before turning on the oven), and that made the house smell nice and minty (the leaves made nice tea too!). A friend of mine has one of those ceramic rings that you stick on a lightbulb with some scented oil in it, and that always permeates the entire main part of the house. That's all of my ideas for now!

~Jo

i dont use much to scent my house because everything i have tried smells nice for a few days then looses it. so...if i need the house to smell nice i open a window and let the fresh mountain air in. lol i have heard of the ceramic light bulb rings, but i aklways wondered about the safety of hanging things on lughtbulbs...

I use Soy Candles as they dont give off that black smoke buildup you get on everything. They also burn longer. When I am not burning candles I use warm oil plug ins from Airwick. My favorite scents are cinnamon and balsam fir or pine. Thanks for all the tips

Archived