MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

potato/bacon/corn chowder

Quote:
Do you think this could be canned?

You could make the soup, minus the dairy, can it and then when you went to heat it up, add the dairy and simmer for a little while.

Dairy for the most part, is not something that is generally supported in home canning due to the potential for spoilage. Our home canners are just not built to process dairy safely.

Mare, I can no longer eat green peppers either. I switched to the red, orange or yellow sweet peppers, and now I don't have the 'green pepper problem' anymore. I even use them for making stuffed peppers and they are great. Wonderful also in stirfry or cut up in salads.

Amber, I can eat the red and yellow peppers too. I don't know what it is about the green peppers. I ate them for years, but when I hit about 35, they no longer agreed with me.

This chowder sounds so good. Perfect for a cold, blustery day.

Pixie, I can potatoes all the time in various things I make. I tend to put the potatoes in right before I jar them up so that they are still raw, and cook during the canning process...I've never had one come out mushy. The only thing that will happen if you're just cooking it on the stove, is that the potatoe will kinda *melt* and the starches will mix in with the soup, thickening it.

Archived