MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Firday, December 9

logcabinmama

Good morning Snow, everyone! What a beautiful morning here. The suns out and no wind but it's -5. Brrrr, that's cold BUT I am staying home all day so I really don't care!

Snow, hope you hear from your DS soon. It's always so nice to hear that voice or get that email.

Have a great day everyone!

Good morning! It's about 5 degrees here, which is a nice change from -11! They predict we'll actually get up to 30 today but I'm not going to hold my breath, lol! I've got a great deal to do today. It seems like my entire house has become one giant laundry room - it seems like there are clothes everywhere - clean but they are still there and need to be put away. I'm going to clean as much as possible because we may go to Billings tomorrow to shop and I don't want to have to face it after a big trip. It takes us about 2-1/2 hours to get there. I think half of Wyoming goes there every Saturday

Kim

Good morning,

I woke up with a headache so I'm moving slow today.

Yesterday afternoon our cat went outside - she does not touch the bowl of water in the house but insists on going outside to drink out of the stainless pan that catches rain water. It's cold right now so she has a funny way of turning her head to the side to drink . Anyway, she was out there just a few minutes yesterday when DH tells me she is foaming at the mouth. I went to find her and she came in and hid under the table. I finally blotted the drool (ick! sorry) and there was a spot of blood on it - then I saw her ear was badly scratched and bleeding. Apparently some cat got her - might be the same darned one that gave her an absess this summer. So far she is doing well, slept all day and night and insisted on going out again to drink that ice cold water. No sign of infection.

This morning I was reading some of the Old Farmer's Almanac. It says we are in for a mild, wet winter and a hot summer. I hate hot weather. Maybe good for the garden, though.

Snowie: Doesn't it feel good to be done with Christmas shopping? How is your dil doing while her husband is in Iraq? It's good you can email. Praying that connection goes through so your son and fellow-soldiers can get through to family support.

Dee: There's one sure thing about housework - it will wait for you, it never goes away!

Bookworm: Have fun shopping in Billings. We have two grocery stores within 5 minutes from here but the closest Walmart is 50 miles.

Becca, I hope there are no absesses, too. Last time that happened DH was gone and I had to just about hog tie her to get her in the cat carrier. She took a dislike to it last time DH had to take her to the vet. It's like she had all four legs splayed so I couldn't get her in the door of the carrier. And yeowling the whole way! Not to talk about the $$$$ . Maybe if you tell us it's real easy and FUN?

It's a ton of fun! I have cookies and drinks to eat, and lots of candies. I hold it from 2-4 so the kids will have had a good lunch, put on the christmas music, and bowls of icing and candies to put on the already constructed house.

You need to bake and construct the house a minimum of a day ahead of time to let the icing set hard so your house won't fall apart.

I use a cardboard box inside to support it, and create a template for the gingerbread pieces off of the box. One for each side and then use a blank manilla file folder to support the roof. It takes me about 6 batches of gingerbread dough to make the house.

First you roll out the dough - I roll it out on waxed paper so I can flip it over on the cookie sheet to bake it. I bake 1 piece at a time, let it cool and then bake the next. Once the pieces are 100% cool, I use icing to frost the side that was on the bottom of the cookie sheet and "glue" it to the side of the box. In the case of the manilla folder I affix them when it's flat, let it dry and then attach it to the top of the box. When all the sides are up and the roof is on I use extra icing to pipe down the cracks between the sides and fill any blank spaces. I also pipe icicles and along the roof where the two halves meet in the middle. You can use cookies to make shingles, vanilla wafers look really nice. I use the sugar wafer cookies for shutters, and a hershey bar for the front door.

If you want you can also bake other gingerbread decorations like a wreath, pieces for a chimney etc. I usually use candies for embellishments.

For the extras, you can use sugar ice cream cones covered in green icing for trees, pretzel sticks, peppermint sticks, marshmallows, candies of all types, cookies of all types, coconut for snow, chocolate and icing to add details, colored and white. Sprinkles, nuts, colored cereal. pretty much if it's edible and doesn't need refigreation it's game LOL.

The kids have a blast putting on the candies. When they are older I'm sure it will look more refined, but for now we just enjoy the friends, the process and the goodies

Quote:

(Originally posted by Bookworm)
...PoGo - if you're reading, are there any malls anywhere in the Southern part of our State?! We have to drive 30 miles to get to the grocery store and a Wal-Mart. Every other store there seems to be especially for tourists...

Hi Bookworm!
The city I live in, Rock Springs, is the third or fourth biggest city in the state, (I forget which, LOL) and our population is only around 20 thousand. Not really a big city! Anyway, we do have malls here, but, they are small "strip" malls. Not the big skyscraper variety you find in big cities. Our biggest strip mall, White Mountain Mall consists of JC Penny, Radio Shack, assorted clothing stores, assorted jewelry stores, GNC vitamins, the Harley Store and an eight plex theater, among others. We have a super Wal-Mart and a Big K in our city. Although I must say, I dread shopping in Wal-Mart. They are always so busy, it is quite common to spend 30 to 45 minutes in line, just waiting to check out. We also have lots of motels, and fast food places. However, I must warn you, if you plan on visiting this city and want a motel room, call ahead for reservations several days in advance. It is extremely difficult to find a room on short notice. When we want to visit a large mall, we go to Salt Lake City in Utah.

Just for fun, if you do much traveling in Wyoming, here is a link with web cams so you can visually see road conditions! Wyoming Web Cams

Thanks PoGo! We didn't get to go to Billings today because of lack of babysitters! The girls' basketball team is in Laramie this weekend and others are taking ACTs or going to Cody for the big Christmas parade.

We are in Meeteetse, population apx 357! Rock Springs is a metropolis compared to this place. LOL! Thanks for the info though, especially the stuff about finding road conditions - always a big help

Kim

Archived