MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

More about butter....

I like to make my own butter, and would do so all the time if I had access to a cheap reliable source of cream to do it with. I don't own a butter churn - the price of those things is astronomical, even the old ones. People buy the old ones and set them out in their "country" kitchens as ornaments - I could be using that!! Anyway....

In my kitchen, I make butter in my Kenwood mixer. Do you have them over there? I just empty the cream in, and leave on fairly slow beat until the butteer comes together, and the butter milk is separate. The butter is removed, and squeezed to remove more of the buttermilk. Salt is added and kneaded in, then the butter is patted with wooden "hands" to remove the rest of the moisture (buttermilk), shaped and ready to use.

it really does taste different, and very fresh. I may get some extra cream when I'm shopping tonight as I now feel the butter urge coming on! Just as well I wasn't talking about expensive malt whisky!!

The buttermilk is put in the fridge and used to make scones - they turn out really light using this.

------------------

lowlander.jpg

funny there are days where I have 14 gallons of milk in my refrigerator! I feed it to the livestock, but it is really sad when even they see me coming and run the other way!

It is a bit more work to seperate the cream from goats milk but it can be done. Then I freeze it until I have enough to make butter or Ice Cream. The Ice Cream is so rich ya can't eat much...and oh those calories!

Lowie, when I lived in Europe I bought butter that was absolutely the best! Very different and much better tasting than the butter we buy here in the US. I think it was Danish in origin....not so heavily salted, and so purely sweet! Yum! I recently found a source to buy it here, but at $9 a pound, I'll savor my memories.

I love your stories. When I lived in Germany, I wanted to take a week long trek by horse and buggy through the English countryside, but never got around to it. Still like to do that. My Mom would love to go to London for the shows......but me.....take me out to the country....and pubs! Cheers!

------------------

mare2.jpg

See you over here soon, Mare - I live in the country oipposite on of the best pubs in Dorset! It's called the White Hart Inn, and goes back to the 16th century, when the brewind was done by monks. I've worked there on and off as chef and gardener since I've been here, but not at the moment. I still go in to drink the beer, as they do some good real ales. The blokes in hubby's office find it highly amusing that he lives opposite such a good pub but doesn't go in but his wife does!! The pub is haunted by the ghost of a monk who can be seen floating around where an old staircase used to be. There are stories up till a s recently as a couple of years ago of barrels getting turned on and off in the cellar and doors banging when no-one was around. The ancient farm next door, which dates back to medieval times, used to have some connection with a nunnery, and that is reputed to be haunted as well. Our village is very old, and looks like a quintessential English village off a postcard.

I'll be watching out for you and your horse in the near future! You could take me into town!!

------------------

lowlander.jpg

I agree Mare.....Lowie tells the best stories!

Yikes Lowie....haunted!

Your village sounds like sooooooo much fun! Thanks for giving us a glimps!

Mare.....you sure traveled alot....love to hear your stories too...betcha got a million!

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

Lowie.....your village sounds absoulutely charming! I'll tip a few ale's at the White Hart Inn, then chat with the ghosts....whadda ya say? And sure, I'll give ya a trot into town.

My only two desires to leave the country, other than Canada, which isn't really leaving the USA, is to go back to England and roam the countryside, and the other is to spend a month on the coast of southern Spain.

Funny, when we were in London, we could not find anyplace that served fish n' chips. And, it was February, and dreadfully cold, and the window in our hotel room was stuck open. but, the bathtub in that room was the biggest claw footed tub I've ever seen, and I went swimming every evening!

Deb, I'm an Army brat, then my first husband was a soldier too, so my International travels have mostly been courtesy of the Army. Ah....the military life was a good one! Now I'm married to a Canadian, who has broadened my horizens to Ontario, Quebec, the East Coast, and Jamaica.

------------------

mare2.jpg